Just bought a pin lock system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryteague

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a kegging system from Midwest today. Its a pin lock system with 2 kegs, a dual regulator, and a 5 lb CO2 cylinder. I'm a complete newb when it comes to kegs, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions about systems, kegs, etc.
My first question is: why are pin lock kegs less expensive than ball lock kegs? I can buy a re-conditioned pin lock keg for an average of $10 less than ball locks. Is there a reason, other than availability, or are pin lock kegs less desirable? Later, I plan on upgrading my system to 4 kegs on a 20 lb CO2 cylinder, and 1 keg on a nitrogen cylinder for stouts. If it becomes necessary later I may move to a ball lock system, but if pin locks are comparable, then what would be the reason to switch? Thanks in advance for the advice.

They both accomplish the same thing. I think the ball locks are more desirable because the replacement parts are easier to acquire. This is true for the simple fact that ball locks are more popular. This used to mean the ball locks were cheaper, so I guess times have changed...or you just found a good deal on some pin lock kegs.

I chose pin locks, too. The diameter and height of the two varieties are different, also, meaning that you need to know what will fit your fridge/kegerator/keezer.

I think that due to differences in equipment changes by Coke and Pepsi, the ball lock kegs happen to be more available at this point.

Additionally, the ball lock kegs are skinnier (and therefore taller),so you can fit more in a given footprint, e.g. a keezer.

But both are perfectly fine.

Thanks guys. I don't see myself having more than 5 or 6 taps, so the pin locks will work great with my current Keezer. I have large Keezer that will accommodate 6 cornies plus a few for storage/Lagering. I still need to put a 6" collar around the top to allow for gas lines to pass through, and such. Now I have to save up and buy some more kegs, so I can brew more.

Quick update: my kegs came in the mail today! I still need to get a pin lock wrench and a spare o-ring set, but I have everything else. The tanks even had pressure in them when I checked. Now I can get my pipeline going. The only thing that sucks is, I have to go out of town for a few days this afternoon, so I can't get my CO2 tank filled until I get back. Now I can give a few cases of bottles away to someone that needs them (I think I'll keep 2 cases for myself). I think I have 2 or 3 cases of amber bottles, if anyone in the Tulsa area is looking, and will have 3 more when I empty the ones that have beer in them. I would do the happy dance, but it would NOT be a pretty sight, so I'll refrain (maybe)!

jerryteague said:
Quick update: my kegs came in the mail today! I still need to get a pin lock wrench and a spare o-ring set, but I have everything else. The tanks even had pressure in them when I checked. Now I can get my pipeline going. The only thing that sucks is, I have to go out of town for a few days this afternoon, so I can't get my CO2 tank filled until I get back. Now I can give a few cases of bottles away to someone that needs them (I think I'll keep 2 cases for myself). I think I have 2 or 3 cases of amber bottles, if anyone in the Tulsa area is looking, and will have 3 more when I empty the ones that have beer in them. I would do the happy dance, but it would NOT be a pretty sight, so I'll refrain (maybe)!

If you have a dremmel, it's pretty easy to make a pin socket. They are so expensive to buy for some reason.

I just bought the same system from Midwest last week, although mine haven't even shipped yet. Did your pin lock kegs come with the keyring style purge that you usually only see on the ball lock kegs? I've read their current pin lock supplier has been doing this.

evandena said:
If you have a dremmel, it's pretty easy to make a pin socket. They are so expensive to buy for some reason.

I'm buying the socket from cornykeg.com, they seem to cost about 1/2 what midwest charges.

JSGT09 said:
I just bought the same system from Midwest last week, although mine haven't even shipped yet. Did your pin lock kegs come with the keyring style purge that you usually only see on the ball lock kegs? I've read their current pin lock supplier has been doing this.

Mine came with a bleed valve on the lid, not the key ring style, but very similar (works the same way). I plan on ordering 2 more kegs next week, so I can have enough to lager/store in. I would suggest buying a few o-ring sets as well (one of my kegs needs the rings for the posts).

Buy some keg lube.

It is only about $3, but very useful.
These used kegs sometimes get some dings around the openings, and the lube can often solve those small imperfections.

At that low cost, it is MUCH more pleasant to have it nearby, when you have just filled the keg.... realizing it has a slow leak. Hedge a bet.

H-Balm said:
Buy some keg lube.

It is only about $3, but very useful.
These used kegs sometimes get some dings around the openings, and the lube can often solve those small imperfections.

At that low cost, it is MUCH more pleasant to have it nearby, when you have just filled the keg.... realizing it has a slow leak. Hedge a bet.

I have an order in to Midwest for some keg lube. I also bought 3 o-ring sets, a keg brush, and 20 feet of 3/16 liquid line. If it weren't for HBT, I would probably not have known what to buy. This site ROCKS!

Latest posts

Back