Flavoring Mozzarella

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
Made our 1st batch of Mozz last night - was successful but was pretty tough and firm. I think we may have overworked the cheese and pressed out too much whey.

we were discussing adding some flavors to future batches, roasted garlic, some spiciness etc and I'm curious if such additives could disturb the formation of the curd?

Anyone done flavorings like that? i figure best time to add is after the curd starts to form - is there a better time to add?

try to add it when you are heating the curds prior to stretching

as for the tough and firm mozz . . . bread it, fry it, and serve with marinara :D

last night i flavored some mozz with fresh garlic and basil. nice!!
another time i used dill and finely chopped habanero - the cheese sorta counteracts some of the heat of habanero - also nice!

last night i flavored some mozz with fresh garlic and basil. nice!!
another time i used dill and finely chopped habanero - the cheese sorta counteracts some of the heat of habanero - also nice!

when did you add the flavorings? while heating the curds?

We added Itilian seasonings and garlic salt. Just sprinkled it on and put it in a plastic bag for a few days for the flavors to meld... great.
Will have to try adding in at other times during the process and see how that turns out.
Thanks!

As for hard Mozz, I use that to grate with.

Made our 1st batch of Mozz last night - was successful but was pretty tough and firm. I think we may have overworked the cheese and pressed out too much whey.

we were discussing adding some flavors to future batches, roasted garlic, some spiciness etc and I'm curious if such additives could disturb the formation of the curd?

Anyone done flavorings like that? i figure best time to add is after the curd starts to form - is there a better time to add?
I know this is an older post, but you can also add a little liquid smoke. I haven't tried this yet because I'm new to the cheese making arena. But it sounds amazing and I've read some awesome reviews on it.

Latest posts

Back