Using hop bags.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigliver

Reaction score
Is using a hop bag a good idea? Currently I just toss pellets in my kettle during the boil and deal with the hop muck at the end.

Do the hop bags really reduce or eliminate the amount of hop residue?

Thank you,

bl.

Buy the bags, but then just using them over the tip of your siphon ;)

I just used a paint strainer bag for the first time this past Sunday and it works like a charm.

I had just a tiiiiiiny bit of hop sludge in the kettle when I was done.

Best $2 I've spend on brewing-related stuff in a long time.

I just used a paint strainer bag for the first time this past Sunday and it works like a charm.

I had just a tiiiiiiny bit of hop sludge in the kettle when I was done.

Best $2 I've spend on brewing-related stuff in a long time.

Walker -

I have been using the small fine mesh hop bags and have been concerned about utilization. I have a paint strainer bag but have not used it. Last brew I just tossed the pellets in with no bag or filter.

I know you have an electric BK, so did you just tie the bag off so it couldn't come in contact with the element or just not worry about it?

I don't think there should be a problem with the bag melting if it comes in contact, but REAL sure I don't want to clean up the mess if I'm wrong.

I know you have an electric BK, so did you just tie the bag off so it couldn't come in contact with the element or just not worry about it?

I don't think there should be a problem with the bag melting if it comes in contact, but REAL sure I don't want to clean up the mess if I'm wrong.

Yeah.... I was concerned about the nylon bag melting if it touched the electric element, so I actually decided to just test it.

I weighed the bag down with a couple of stainless measuring cups and intentionally sat it down in the kettle so that it was draped over the element and making full direct contact with it.

I boiled it that way in water for 30 minutes and then pulled it out to see the damage.

It was in perfect condition. I was pretty happy about it.

edit: I have a 5500W ULWD element.

Yeah.... I was concerned about the nylon bag melting if it touched the electric element, so I actually decided to just test it.

I weighed the bag down with a couple of stainless measuring cups and intentionally sat it down in the kettle so that it was draped over the element and making full direct contact with it.

I boiled it that way in water for 30 minutes and then pulled it out to see the damage.

It was in perfect condition. I was pretty happy about it.

edit: I have a 5500W ULWD element.

PERFECT!

Thanks.

If you did a couple layers... probably.

I previously had a large cheesecloth bag (single layer) and it allowed enough of the pellet hop sludge to get through that it clogged my bazooka screen in the kettle and gave me some problems a couple of times.

I use hop bags (fine mesh, not muslin) and a paint strainer. As long as you allow plenty of space for the expansion that will take place when the hops soak up the wort, then I don't think there's anything to be concerned with utilization. If you're doing a heavily staged IPA, then I'd recommend buying plenty of the fine mesh bags. They're cheap.

If you're doing a heavily staged IPA, then I'd recommend buying plenty of the fine mesh bags. They're cheap.

This is one of the reasons that the 5 gallon paint strainer bag is great. I tie it to the handle of my kettle with some sting or rope and toss it in. The top of the bag is well above the top of the boiling liquid. When I need to add the next hop addition, I just throw them into that one bag that is already there.

No need for multiple bags. And I'm pretty sure that one 5 gallon paint strainer is cheaper than one small nylon bag that homebrew shops sell for this purpose.

This is one of the reasons that the 5 gallon paint strainer bag is great. I tie it to the handle of my kettle with some sting or rope and toss it in. The top of the bag is well above the top of the boiling liquid. When I need to add the next hop addition, I just throw them into that one bag that is already there.

No need for multiple bags. And I'm pretty sure that one 5 gallon paint strainer is cheaper than one small nylon bag that homebrew shops sell for this purpose.

Yeah, I have an extra paint strainer, so I'll give this a shot this weekend. I burned my hand doing a similar thing with a muslin bag and that's what led me to the multiple mesh bags. :mug:

I just toss my pellet hops now and whirlpool at the end with decent results. I tried the paint strainer bag a couple of times. First time I used one I thought it was the greatest thing on Earth. Second time, not so much. At the end of my boil, the strainer bag was very heavy due to the water absorbed by the hops and the water sitting on top of the hop sludge in the bag. The hops broke down fine enough to literally clog the bag, keeping the water from circulating through it.

Walker -

I have been using the small fine mesh hop bags and have been concerned about utilization. I have a paint strainer bag but have not used it. Last brew I just tossed the pellets in with no bag or filter.

I am also worried about hop utilization. It seems like there is too large of a barrier between the wort and as previously stated, can clog and absorb a good bit of your wort. I plan on doing a whirlpool on my 10g setup via a whirlpool IC.

I am also worried about hop utilization. It seems like there is too large of a barrier between the wort and as previously stated, can clog and absorb a good bit of your wort. I plan on doing a whirlpool on my 10g setup via a whirlpool IC.

The nylon bags I had from the LHBS were thick and not very porous. I would worry about utilization with them for sure, but I am not worried about these things with the paint strainer bags.

Here is a pic of one of the bags. There are TWO layers of the bag between my hand and the camera here.

hop_bag.jpg

They really are ideal for holding the hops. As for absorption.... I pull the bag up out of the wort and let the wort drain while I am chilling. There is very little wort lost.

I have been thinking about experimenting w/ a hop bag lately wondering if it could be better than my usual technique. Currently I use a funnel w/ a strainer insert when transferring to primary and end up w/ minimal to no hop debris after fermentiation. Anybody here have experience w/ both?

I have been thinking about experimenting w/ a hop bag lately wondering if it could be better than my usual technique. Currently I use a funnel w/ a strainer insert when transferring to primary and end up w/ minimal to no hop debris after fermentiation. Anybody here have experience w/ both?

I used to use a funnel with a strainer insert in it years ago. Both work equally well, but I find the bag to be easier to deal with. my funnel would clog if I had a lot of hops and I would have to stop, clean it out, and then start again.

I used to use a funnel with a strainer insert in it years ago. Both work equally well, but I find the bag to be easier to deal with. my funnel would clog if I had a lot of hops and I would have to stop, clean it out, and then start again.

I had the same experience with a funnel / filter.

And you really need to have the wort chilled before it gets to the funnel. I'm looking to keep the hops out of my chiller

Same, as well. The pellets are the worst culprits of strainer clog and when I did my first batch, I had pellets and a fine mesh strainer. I was quite worried about sanitation due to the frequent strainer cleaning.

Latest posts

Back