leaky pressure relief valve...fixable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I recently kegged my first batch, and noticed after 1 week, that my tank was empty. So I filled it and check again for leaks. The pressure relief valve on the lid leaked if not turned a specific way. OK, well keg is full of beer, so I can't take the lid off, so I taped it so it would stay still. Then, 2 days later, tank is empty. At this point, I disconnected the keg and only have my other keg hooked up. No leaks in this one. Is there a way to fix a leak in a pressure relief valve? Or do I need to buy a new lid? The keg holds pressure, but not enough to serve. If it helps, the pressure relief valves are the kind that flip up, not the ones with the ring. Please help...

Thanks, I'll try to unscrew it, but I think I tried that before without much luck. Maybe its easier with the lid on, since before I was trying to tighten it. I'd much rather not have to get a new lid, but I guess in the big scheme of things, $20 for a new lid is not that bad if it works. I'll try this first though.

You don't really need the pressure release. 8 of my 12 pinlock kegs have a solid lid. You could have a piece of plate welded over the hole or like I said, JBweld a piece of stainless over the hole from the underside. I wouldn't pay $20 for a new lid.

Venting the keg without it is as easy as pressing the gas-in poppet valve down with a spare disconnected QD or a screwdriver.

What is the thread on the pressure relief valve? Is this a standard thread? If so, you could just thread a plug into the tapped hole in the lid.

Latest posts

Back