Keg House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milligan101

Reaction score
Was sent over here from another forum, hoping there may be a few ideas...
I'm in the early stages of planning an outdoor kitchen. Planning to convert a small portion of the pool house/shed to a keg room to replace my 5 keg keezer. Room would be about 250 cubic feet (8'x8'x3') with 10 or 12 taps through the wall into a narrow stainless steel cabinet. I'll line and insulate the room, slab is about 12" deep. I live in inland southern California so summer can reach 110F and occasionally freezes in winter. Question is how to cool this room. Any ideas on equipment or setup? I dont think a wine-cellar unit will get to a low enough temp. Thanks

Its 3' high? Would a window AC unit fit? That would keep it cool and others have used them to keep rooms cool. I used one to cool a 10'10' room overseas before, it worked great, you can just figure out what air temp you need to keep kegs at serving temp.

Let's see. 8X8X3=250? OK..... Anyway, take the measurements to a refrigeration contractor. Tell them how much insulation that you're packing in the walls and the other building particulars and that you want to keep kegs at serving temp summer and winter. He'll tell you the type and size of the refrigeration system needed. You'll be in the 3-5 grand area, plus installation. Or, continue with the Rube Goldberg theme and head to Walmart. Grab a 100dollar window shaker. Chop a hole in the wall, jam in the unit and rewire a thermostat to force the unit to run at 35 degrees.

Its 3' high? Would a window AC unit fit? That would keep it cool and others have used them to keep rooms cool. I used one to cool a 10'10' room overseas before, it worked great, you can just figure out what air temp you need to keep kegs at serving temp.

8 feet by 3 feet floor space, by 8 feet high... essentially a large walk in refrigerator. didnt know if i could do this with an ac unit or with freezer coils.

I have no input as I am not savvy with such things but I want to be your friend.

A year ago I thought having 5 beers on tap was plenty. Sadly, I often head to the bottle fridge to find more variety. I hope 10 will do it, perhaps witha creamer and a nitro tap to get me to an even dozen.

A year ago I thought having 5 beers on tap was plenty. Sadly, I often head to the bottle fridge to find more variety. I hope 10 will do it, perhaps witha creamer and a nitro tap to get me to an even dozen.

just had a beergasm. I sadly only have 2; my next upgrade when I buy my house I want to do 6. Don't think I'll ever be able to go beyond that.

Latest posts

Back