Whats your favorite porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx-brewer

Reaction score
Well I have my first beer bubbling away, and in the midst of brewing I decided I really needed to expand my eyes in the beer world. When I was younger I tried different beers, but for a while now I have stuck to the same ole same ole.

I bought a bunch of different beers I had never tried at the liquor store the other day and found out I am in love with porters...

The three I have tried are Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, and Stone Smoked Porter. Liked the stone, but absolutely loved the Deschutes and Breckenridge.

I am curious on what other Porters I need to try, some of yalls favorites. I am going to try as many as I can find in my area, but some suggestions of the better ones would be great. Thanks

Those are three good porter choices in general but especially in the scheme of large distribution. IMO Breck is the weakest but if you like vanilla it's nice.

Founders porter is quite special and somewhat easily available. I am also a huge fan of Baltic porters and 3floyds Amaranth Ragnarok(sp) is a fantastic example, but seasonal and really hard to get a hold of.

If you're including home brew, I'd have to say Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla porter. Even without the bourbon or vanilla, it's still my absolute favorite.

However, if you liked Breckenridge's vanilla porter, you'd probably like Stone's Smoked Porter (Aged with Vanilla Beans) even better. Much higher quality than Breckenridge's (IMO). However, I do love the sessionable quality of Breckenridge's.

Founders is a great porter. I actually like the new Snowcap Vanilla porter by Sam Adams a lot too (yes, its ok to drink a SA beer!)

Thanks for all the ideas guys, ill defiantly check out as many if these as I can... What a rough task I have ahead of me.. haha. Keep em coming

Black Butte is one of my favorite beers and I trying keep some on tap here all the time if I can.
I think I'm going to modify the clone recipe a little though next time.
Maybe a little more roasty flavor.

Drinking a Deschutes BBP right now, I think it is my favorite of all time since I compare all others to it anymore.

Great Lakes Brewing Edmund Fitzgerald is one of my all time favorite beers, another great one is Atwater Brewings Vanilla Java Porter if you can find it ( not sure how far outta Detroit they go)

Some of my favorites, Riverhorse did a limited release Chocolate Porter that was awesome, Founders is awesome, and maybe my favorite (though it could be more of a setting thing that made me love it than the beer itself) is Cooperstown Brewing's Benchwarmer Porter.

So many good beers and so few of them available where I am.
I sure wish I could try a couple new beers every day.

I really Ike Fuller's Porter but not sure how widely available it is. If you want to brew a great one, check out the Urca Vanilla Porter at NB--it's amazing!

Have to agree with several above... Edmund Fitzgerald and Founders Porters are those found most often in my fridge.

My personal favorite is Kona Pipeline Porter. Flavor is excellent and it brings back memories of my living just a few miles away from the Kona Brewing Company Brewhouse in Hawaii, good times.

I really like fullers and samuel smith's Taddy porter. My favorite would be bells porter. Founders, Great Lakes, descutes, troegs, and diamond bear all make a pretty good offering in a porter as well. Diamond bear is Arkansas local brewery so you have probably never heard of it.

Flying dog gonzo is an imperial porter I really like but drink it slow its got quite a kick

Several great porters have already been mentioned, but there are certainly more to add to the list. I think porter is one of the best styles out there, here are a few more I like: Firestone Walker Reserve Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter, Yuengling Porter, Zwiec Porter, and of course my homebrew, Yom Kipporter

Well drinking a Alaskan smoked porter right now that I had and not a big fan. Anyone try the big eddys porter by leinys? They have it at the grocery store I work at

Along with Black Butte, Anchor Porter and Smuttynose Robust Porter are my favorites.

I really like the robust porter I brewed a few weeks ago (as evidenced by the fact that it's close to gone).

But in the market, I would get the Founders Porter.

+1 on the Black Butte.

I'm a little jealous of you t45_70sharps. Anything Deschutes on tap would be awesome.

I once detoured a road trip three hours to Bend, OR, just to drink some beers at Deschutes.

Would you be willing to share your clone recipe?

Closer to home (like only 6 hours away, as opposed to 24) is Bushwakker's Palliser Porter. Much as I despise their football team, Saskatchewan is home to a few good beers.

The Heritic Porter is awesome, but I only got a bottle, other then that I like Firestone Walker's Porter, and on tap Lava Rock Porter is also awesome

I'm glad a couple other people mentioned Smuttynose, definitely a great robust porter.

Ballast Point Vicotry at Sea imperial porter is my favorite. I like most of my darker beers on the sweet side of things.

Back