Chlorine killed the yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdmackintosh

Reaction score
48 hours ago I poured 7 gallons of IPA OG 1060 into my fermenting bucket - nothing has happened and gravity has not fallen. All my temperatures were OK, so I´m riddled on this one. Can my chlorine sanitizer residue in my bucket kill the yeast - think maybe I forgot to rinse it after sanitizing? I'm gonna put a load of extra yeast in tomorrow, and if this doesn't help, it can only be the damned chlorine that's to blame - or what??

If you didn't rinse it then taste is going to be a concern. People seem to be very good at detecting even a small amount of residual chroline.
I personally would be surprised if unrinsed sanitiser would be enough to kill a whole batch of yeast though. I just wouldn't think it'd be concentrated enough?

What was the date on the yeast and how much did you pitch? Did you use a diluted bleach/water solution or pure bleach? For that OG, you'll probably need to pitch 2-3 packets or bottles of yeast to get a good vigorous fermentation.

I'm betting you underpitched old yeast. If you did a 20:1 ratio of water to bleach to sanitize, even without a rinse step, I doubt you killed off the yeast with bleach water.

The bleach was serously diluted - when I woke up this morning the action was there, and kreusen had blown the airlock off. It must have been due to lag time caused by a relatively small amount of yeast I guess.

Jamil Zanischeff has a great yeast pitching calculator over at his Mr. Malty website. As a general rule of thumb, I pitch 2 packets/vials of yeast for most of my beers between OG: 1.030 to 1.050, 3 packets/vials for 1.051 to 1.080 and 4 packets/vials for high gravity beers over 1.081.

or....

You can just create a yeast starter and time it to pitch while the yeast peaks in it's growth phase (usually 24-36 hours before your brew day). Or, wait until it ferments out completely, decant off the water (pour it out carefully) from the yeast cake, and pitch the remaining slurry.

Good aeration and yeast nutes can also help, especially in high gravity worts.

Glad your yeast is finally doing it's thing. :)

somewhat off topic- but if you sanitize a container, and then rinse the sanitizer out with non-sanitary water, the container becomes non-sanitized again.

tap water is not sanitary.

Back