Lime zest/juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richross

Reaction score
So I am planning my next batch to be a take on Uprights Fatali Four which is a sour wheat beer fermented with peppers. To add an extra layer of complexity, I want to include lime zest or possibly juice. I am familiar with the practice of adding zest as a late boil addition or at flame out but has anyone used juice as well/instead. The Commons Brewery in Portland has a beer, Eidolon, which was brewed with meyer lemon zest and juice but I'm not sure how they did it. Any advice?

Richross, I think I can answer this. I am the head Brewer at The Commons and one of the collaborators responsible for Eidolon. With that beer we added both the zest and juice at flame out.
I have also played around with hot washing fruit then adding zest in the brite tank. I bubble it from the bottom with CO2 to let it have a longer and better contact time, then rely on time and cooler temps for it to drop out.
Lastly we have also successfully added various juices at packaging. We sometimes put pasteurized lime juice in a keg the fill it. Another thing I am playing around with is adding juice to the beer that will be bottle conditioned as part of the priming sugar source.
Anyway I hope some of this helps.

I did a wheat beer about a month ago, 11 gallons, zested 5 navel oranges, juiced, and then added all of it to the last 5 min. of the boil. Smelled great going into the keg. Forced carbed and served 1 week later. At first the nose was orange and you could taste it at the end. Now its been about a month and you can't smell or taste it. I think the yeast pretty much ate all the orange. I still have another keg but haven't decided how to get more orange into it. On the other hand, the color and taste is now identical to Widmer Hefe.

Richross, I think I can answer this. I am the head Brewer at The Commons and one of the collaborators responsible for Eidolon. With that beer we added both the zest and juice at flame out.
I have also played around with hot washing fruit then adding zest in the brite tank. I bubble it from the bottom with CO2 to let it have a longer and better contact time, then rely on time and cooler temps for it to drop out.
Lastly we have also successfully added various juices at packaging. We sometimes put pasteurized lime juice in a keg the fill it. Another thing I am playing around with is adding juice to the beer that will be bottle conditioned as part of the priming sugar source.
Anyway I hope some of this helps.

Right from the horses mouth, can't beat that!! I have used zest in wit's and added it with my flameout hops.

Back