First attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpagan

Reaction score
I purchased a True Brew kit. The equip list says (6+quart) pot. Is this a mistake. It should be larger correct? I am new. Got a bunch of equipment from a friend. I'm reading all i can but still am very vague on the steps.

I purchased a True Brew kit. The equip list says (6+quart) pot. Is this a mistake. It should be larger correct? I am new. Got a bunch of equipment from a friend. I'm reading all i can but still am very vague on the steps.

You probably want at least a 12-16 quart pot, ideally 5 gallons for stovetop/extract brewing, like with a kit. With a kit, you aren't typically boiling the full volume of beer you are making, but you want to have some extra space for when your beer comes to a boil, as it will foam (called 'hot break'), and boilovers suck to clean up.

You can brew full volume boils indoors with that kettle. Better to have 3.5 gallons of something truly amazing than say 5 gallons of a mediocre partial boil IPA.

... i.e. boil 4.5 gallons down to 3.5 gallons without topping off and diluting the beer.

I was talkin about boil size too. I brew 5 & 6 gallon batches. Just top off in the fermenter after wort chilled.

Back