Hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmarks

Reaction score
Can anyone answer me this. Made a 6 gal batch of apple wine from cider. Made wine to 21 brix then ferm out to dry. Then froze 1 gal of it to remove water to increase alcohol content by vol. found this trick on Internet. Should this increase my cont by volume by 2/3. Taste great just trying to find out what proof it's at. Bought a shine hydrometer by didn't get the reading I thought I would. Let me know. Thanks.

its not as simple as it seems and its a waste of time.. not to mention its illegal.. May be taboo to speak of it here...

"Jacking" concentrates everything, including the bad byproducts of fermentation. I think its a waste of time unless you're trying to extract alcohol from something that isn't palatable. Its a crude method and it wastes alcohol... You will get a stronger product, but, you will also lose product in the process..

No doubt, you lose product, most of it water but some of it not.

It is not illegal for homebrewers to do this, at least not federally illegal. Watch the first few minutes of this basic brewing video where they get word from the feds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back