Does Brett flavor increase w/ serving temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theron

Reaction score
I have a PLambic fermented with Roeselare that is about 9 months old. I sampled it yesterday and it has too much Brett flavor. My wife says it smells like a wet goat. I am wondering if this is because the sample was 68 deg. Will the brett be less pronounced at serving temp?

I have no direct experience, but at a general level, yes..the colder things get, the fewer volatile aromatic compounds release.
Since smell is about 65% of your sense of taste, the reduction of 'wet goat' smell should mean less perceived goat flavor.

Why is wet goat bad?

Brett goes through phases. It might be like goat today but next month it might smell like tropical fruit. The fatty acid that makes it smell like goat should combine with alcohol to produce tropical fruit flavor and aroma. However, brett usually keeps some of that funky barnyard/horse blanket smell and taste, so if you are getting that instead of the true aroma of a goat, it may not go away entirely but it may change or diminish with some more aging.

Back