Types of brew pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
So I have a Granite ware stock pot I use to brew instead of the most often suggested stainless steel does any one use this type of brew pot and if so how successfully meaning do you find if gives off metallic flavors or any other attributions to your Finial product?

image-1122197633.jpg

+1
I would also like to hear the answer. "Found" one in my hall closet (that I guess I forgot I had) when cleaning it out to make room for BEER! Would like to use it...
IMO I don't think it should be a problem. I've read that several brewers use aluminum with no problems.
Sarah.

Aluminum has to be conditioned 1st. The enamel coated pots are fine as long as there are no chips inside the pot where the enamel is missing. Then it's no good.

I have used it twice for my first two batches and my second batch is in fermenter so I don't know how it taste yet. The first brew was a nut brown ale that came out with a clear metallic after taste that faded quit a bit form week 2 in the bottles to week 3 thank goodness I am guessing that it was just the fact that it was my first batch and beginner mistakes rather than the pot?

I've heard these enamel coated kettles work just fine as long as there aren't areas where the coating is gone leaving bare metal to rust. I think this is the style of pot Charlie Papazian was using in his Complete Joy of Homebrewing books.

I've used aluminum pots in the past, and now am using stainless. All will work just fine as long as you take care of them. Look around on here for caring for enamel pots for suggestions.

I used one when I first started, worked fine until enamel started to chip & flake from bottom of pot. Lasted about 2 years of brewing 2x a month.

I think it would be easiest to check the inside of the pot 1st for scratches down to metal,chips,etc. That would eliminate 1 thing real quick.

Thanks guys I am going to still use when I brew on 9/9/11 and if all three brew come out with metallic aftertaste I will buy stainless just for peace of mind.

My first beer I ever made (a ginger pils) was brewed in an enamel pot... since I have a gas stove the heat was much higher... I did in fact find some enamel flakes in the wort... but it turned out great. No off flavors that I noticed. And all of the particulate had dropped before bottling.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

I've only ever used an enamel pot for boiling, and so far I've never had a problem. I would like to eventually upgrade of course, but I don't see a problem using it as long as (like everyone has said) there aren't any chips.

So I have a Granite ware stock pot I use to brew instead of the most often suggested stainless steel does any one use this type of brew pot and if so how successfully meaning do you find if gives off metallic flavors or any other attributions to your Finial product?

I never use Graniteware for my Finials.

And there are only 2 kinds of pots for brewing.

-Affordable

and

-Blichmann

Graniteware should NOT contribute any "flavor" to your product unless the finish is compromised. Metallic "usually" points to the age of the malts or Iron content of your source water.

I used an enamel pot like that for several years. It was a champ, held up well, and never produced any off flavors...

I have upgraded to SS, but still keep the enamel one around for some reason.

Back