Twine Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMass

Reaction score
I've been having a lot of problems with twine breaking this year. I just re-tied one plant that fell from over 21 feet last week and 2 more fell this week. This is only a problem on my cable setup. I have a cable between 2 trees and twine going up to that. The hops sway a bit and I'm sure this contributes to the problem.

I think I just used the big box store brand of twine. I should get some from Freshops or similar next year.

Any suggestions?

I have the same setup you do (cable between two trees) but have not had issues with twine breaking. I used big box store twine and the freshop twine and see no difference between the two. How much slack did you give your twine?

I must have old twine. After I re-knotted it, it would just pull apart. Or I have a cheap grade of twine. This hasn't happened to me before either and I think I have the cable set up for about 3 or 4 years. My Sterlings came down a few more times, so I just picked them. They were ready early this year. The others will hopefully stay up until they are ready to harvest.

I did tighten the twine once this year. But not totally tight. There was probably still a foot of slack after I tightened the twine.

Back