Scratches in Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am new to this and used a brush on a plastic carboy I got in a kit from Northern Brewer.

There are visible scratches up near the top from using the brush.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do or not to do from here? Use it or not? Primary or Secondary? Cautions?

Thanks

PS When I contacted NB, they said you arent supposed to use a brush on a plasitc carboy. I told em it was weird that they gave me a carboy brush and a carboy and expected me not to use it. They agreed and have replaced the primary and secondary that I scratched. I am just wondering if that they are useful for anything.

Yes...excellent service. Just wanted to see what everyone thought if they were useful for ANYTHING (besides a flower pot)

Can it be used for a secondary (since the alcohol has developed)? Can I use it as primary?

Thoughts?

Yes...excellent service. Just wanted to see what everyone thought if they were useful for ANYTHING (besides a flower pot)

Can it be used for a secondary (since the alcohol has developed)? Can I use it as primary?

Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't...those scratches are bacteria traps....and regardless of alcohol being developed or not, bacteria can still spoil a batch...even if it's fermented out. Just my two cents.

I personally wouldn't...those scratches are bacteria traps....and regardless of alcohol being developed or not, bacteria can still spoil a batch...even if it's fermented out. Just my two cents.

I had a feeling this was the case. The scratches are surface scratches and not deep but I think I am done with these.

Any suggestions for what you do with these?

I've heard (somewhere on this site) of people using turkey size oven bags as a liner for scratched buckets. Serves two purposes actually, as you neither have to worry about bacteria nor cleaning.

Nope never heard of lining with an over bag either.....but I too now have a scratched carboy :(
Mine is glass and I guess I went a little overboard with the brush, the upper part of the carboy is stratched like crazy.....ehh does the same thing go for glass as plastic? Get rid of it?

Storing sanitizer, mark with graduations for water measurements, grain hopper for diy mill, funnel, grain storage, waste dump valve storage for a pump

I guess that's all I can think of for now. Don't throw it out if you don't need to, very handy chunk of plastic.

Personally I wouldn't be afraid of these assuming you have light scratches caused by the brush bristles and not the center wire. I've been brewing in the same buckets for over a year which by now have light scratches (can be felt). I clean them well and sanitize before use and have had zero issues. On the otherhand, if your the kind of person that is gonna stay awake at night worring about it you should avoid using them. Did you consider selling them on Craigslist?

Back