Will Floating Fruit Interrupt My Pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin2D

Reaction score
So I made a Belgian pale that I racked onto a fair amount of peaches that I had pureed. Half of the peaches remained on the bottom and the other half floated up to the top of my beer. I pitched the dregs of a Cuvee Rene, but will the floating fruit inhibit my pellicle from forming because the peaches form a layer themselves. You can see that CO2 from the fermentation of the peaches has to go through the peaches to get out the airlock.

What do you think, is there something I can do to get the peaches to sink or are they working to my advantage?

I didn't want to answer because I hoped someone with more experience would answer :)

In my case, I brewed a 5 gallon batch of lambic and split it into two 3 carboys; one got mangoes, one straight. It has been about 9 months the mango lambic never got a pellicle, while the straight lambic did after a few months.

According to Tonedef's results, YMMV.

Well, I guess time will tell...I was just hoping for a clear indication that infection was successful.

Thanks anyway!

Back