Adding Flavors to the Primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2H6O

Primary
Reaction score
I dont have/use a secondary fermenter and want to know if it is OK to add flavors (i.e. chocolate, vanilla extract, fruit etc. to the primary after 14 days??

Thanks

Yes, but with the exception of fruit, you'd be better off adding things to the bottling bucket. Otherwise, you'll have trouble mixing them without stirring up the trub.

Don't you allow it to continue in the primary for an additional 7 days.- Wouldnt that be enough time for the trub to resettle??

So If I want to make a strawberry pale I could add the berries to the primary after 2 weeks? Sort of like dry hopping without secondary?

Any draw backs?

should be fine with a fruit adition in the primary for a couple days before botling. My kit came with a carboy, and it does make fruit additions nice. I can see them turn white and sink :D

Any draw backs?

Since you asked:

Trub and autolysing yeast can import flavors you probably don't want into your beer, and stirring them up increases that chance. Which is why you're better off racking to a secondary. Make sure to grab a bit of the top of the yeast cake to ferment the sugar from the strawberries.

That being said, your plan of action will most likely work out fine.

When I want to do a fruit beer, I will primary until the airlock slows way down and then get two kinds of fruit purees, (dependant on the mood), say apricot and raspberry. I will reduce each amount of puree by half and secondary in two three gal carboys. I generally get tired of the same fruit beer a case and a half in so splitting the batch really works for me. If I'm out of stock on one kind of fruit then I can obviously just enjoy the base beer. I then sterilize heavy duty freezer bags and save the remaining.

Along the same lines, I am considering making a hefeweizen and adding the LD Carlson blackberry fruit extract to it to see how the wife likes it (the only beer she drinks regularly is Leinie's berryweiss). I know it won't be as sweet with the extract, but that might be a good thing.

Anyway, back on topic. With no secondary, would I add the fruit extract into the primary at the beginning of fermentation, after fermentation, or add it to the sugar water during priming?

If the answer is add it to the sugar water, would I add it before boiling or after?

Along the same lines, I am considering making a hefeweizen and adding the LD Carlson blackberry fruit extract to it to see how the wife likes it (the only beer she drinks regularly is Leinie's berryweiss). I know it won't be as sweet with the extract, but that might be a good thing.

Anyway, back on topic. With no secondary, would I add the fruit extract into the primary at the beginning of fermentation, after fermentation, or add it to the sugar water during priming?

If the answer is add it to the sugar water, would I add it before boiling or after?

I would add it about 5 days prior to bottling/kegging after fermentation is completed. Also, concider using real fruit.
Media_CardBlackBerrypicturesIMG00029.jpg

Jamil was just talking about this and stated he adds the fruit puree to primary (he never secondaries) when the airlock has all but subsided. He lets it run, does a Diacetyl rest and then cold crashes.

Back