US Goldings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
How do US grown Goldings compare with imported (UK) Goldings with regard to flavor/aroma?

I'm planning on buying from HopsDirect for use in British ale styles (pales thru stouts) and have never used the US grown variety.

Thx for any input.

I'm going to find out myself soon, since I use a lot of EKG and I ordered a pound from an online vendor that was listed as "Kent Goldings" and under their "Imported Hops" section. So I figured it was safe to assume they were British. Then I get the bag and it states "Product of USA".:mad:

I hear they're pretty good. The best summarized description I've heard somewhere on this forum is that if EKG are a "10", then US Goldings are an "8".

The US Goldings are good but the real deal UK Goldings are better IMO. I bought some during the Great Hop Crisis when the EKGs were just about impossible to find. The US version lacks some of the delicacy in the aroma and the flavor is deeper though less complex than the UKs. Still a very nice hop and the "8" out of "10" description seems about right to me. :mug:

Never tried the US, but i'm pretty sure i bought EKG from hops direct a month or so ago. I might have to go check the freezer to see if it's in fact EKG, and not US goldings.

Either way, you'll be in hop heaven.

I've been using the US Goldings instead of EKG this year and have no complaints. They may not be quite the same, but they are pretty close.

-a.

Thanks for the replies, folks. 8/10 sounds good to me...

Donner...upon further review, it looks like indeed has EKG leaf hops, it's ony the pellets that are limited to the US variety.

Given the favorable reviews, I may still go with the US variety, as pellets are going to be easier to deal with in my brewing setup.

Back