Low Strike Temp - What should I expect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
I decided to use my new MT (FlyGuy design) for a PM recipe I already purchased and experiment before going AG.

I didn't exactly follow the recipe (should have) and my after adding ~5qt of water @168F to my 3.5G of grains and stirred my temp was ~144F. Not really doing this before I was determined to get my temp up to 153F. I added more hot water but it took about 10 min and the temp from that was ~148, not enough so I added even more hot water. The last was under 170F but very close. I ended up with 153F and stirred again and closed the lid for an hour.

My SG was 1.053 when I was done, it should have been 1.060. I'm kinda wondering what to expect by adding the hot water again 10 min after first doughing in and getting a 144F temp?

It will probably ferment out a bit drier, but not by much. 144F is above the working range for all enzymes except beta and alpha amylase.

It only sat for about 10 min at the low 140 temp, when I added the hot water to get the temp back up to 153F did I kill the conversion?

You didn't hurt a thing, but you effectively changed your conversion profile creating a more fermentable wort. It will ferment more completely (to a lower FG) leaving with a drier beer. That meaning less sweet with higher ABV. It will be just fine.

Interesting, thnx for the replies. Looking forward to measuring this when I rack it to my keg in a few weeks. More looking forward to an open spot in my keggerator to hook it up. A 2 keg system is too small :). :tank:

Back