How much tubing for CFC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKchill

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm going to make a counterflow chiller, but I'm not sure how much tubing to use. I figured I could make a 20' long chiller with 3/8 copper tubing and 5/8 hose for about $70. Is this long enough, or do you think I should make it longer?

Kind of a tough question, really depends on your water temp entering the chiller and how fast you want to send the wort through. 20' seems a bit short to me, but I would imagine being in AK you have some pretty chilly tap water.

All Home Depot had was 20' lengths when I was ready to build my CFC.

My tap water (well) stays pretty cool all year round and with the 20 foot CFC, I can always get the wort to 2-3* above tap water temps, which in most cases is TOO cool :)

If you are going to spend $70 to make one, maybe just look on ebay. I saw one that expired yesterday with no bidders, it was $79, 25 ft long, and shipping was like $13. Also, at $70, you're approaching plate chiller prices.

IIRC BobbyM did some research on this topic and came up with 25' being in the optimal range... Going bigger than that and you start to hit the wall of diminishing returns on your investment... I am running 25' with no problems...

I found that post last night, after I had posted this thread. Very helpful. I think I'm going to build two of them and try to sell one to recoup some of the cost. I could make 1 for $70, or two for $110, so two makes more sense. Maybe the LHBS will want to trade me for the other one, because they have no CFCs there. Thanks guys.

Back