Hops Direct now accepting orders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesss!!! Aw crap. No shipping to Oregon. Oh well, looks like I'm waiting until freshops has theirs available.

Freshops tends to have lower prices and a better selection, but it does vary from year to year. As a side note, the only sources of hop rhizomes in the US are WA, OR, ID. Ordering from a business in one of those states will mean less handling and time out of the ground.

david_42 said:
Freshops tends to have lower prices and a better selection, but it does vary from year to year. As a side note, the only sources of hop rhizomes in the US are WA, OR, ID. Ordering from a business in one of those states will mean less handling and time out of the ground.

Freshops has yet to post prices and availability this year.

I rather pay a couple of $ extra and get something fresh and viable. You are rignt David and less time out of the ground means the rhizomes are more likely to be viable.

Last year I planted some rhizomes that did nothing. I don't want to do all that work for nothing again just to try saving a couple of $.

I might order from Freshops too.

I also anticipate a large number of people ordering rhizomes this year because of the price increase of hop cones. So getting the best deal was not high on my priority list.

I was going to order from Hops Direct, but my LHBS beat their price by half, so they are getting the business.

they hardly have any choices and much more expensive...I have pre ordered about 10 this year so far never paid over $4.50 for one at two other places.

KENTUCKYBREWER said:
At $8 a root they better be big and high yielding this year!

You got that right! I will be posting more on this thread if they are not.

But their 1 lb. bag of hops are over a lb. so we'll see.

Thanks for the tip. I've been waiting on freshhops.com but spring has come early here.... so I went ahead and bit the bullet. I've had good luck with these folks and am hoping they are as generous with their roots as they are with their flowers.

As to prices being better or worse at different sources, for those of us IN Washington, we can only buy from sources INSIDE the state. No outside sources are allowed to ship into the state, so it does not matter what they charge, I have to pay it if I want the hops.

we are buying 300 roots from our local nurser @ 3.00 ea and he is going to go directly to the source to get them. Check with yours where ever you may be they mignt be able to assist you with your needs.
Cheers and happy growing
JJ

rabidgerbil said:
As to prices being better or worse at different sources, for those of us IN Washington, we can only buy from sources INSIDE the state. No outside sources are allowed to ship into the state, so it does not matter what they charge, I have to pay it if I want the hops.

Check your LHBS, Olympic Brewing in Bremerton is taking pre-orders now for 4$ each.

You can't ship hop hizomes to oregon it is against the law... you have to get them from somewhere inside the state, or get some stupid kind of disease free certification before importing them to the state.

Back