Corny Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadyus

Reaction score
When I charge a keg do I leave the gas going? Or just jack it open to 30 psi and then turn off the gas? I'm new to this whole kegging thing....I can hear hissing also from my regulator but when I spray on soapy water nothing bubbles is this normal? Thanks

If you think you have a leak don't leave it open. I drained a just filled tank when I first started kegging because of a small leak. You shouldn't here a constant hissing sound. It should stop when your keg equalizes at the regulated pressure. You might want to shut off the supply and see if the keg is holding pressure.

uh don't slap me but I looked in the box that the regulator came in and I found the wrench and this plastic washer...Re-hooked everything backup and now I hear no noise at all...psi has been stable at 20 PSI for the last 10 minutes....hopefully it's fixed will watch it for the next hour to see if it moves....but you should be able to turn off the gas and it should stay at 20 PSI correct? there is maybe 1 gallon of water in the keg I'm testing

ok nevermind I just checked the pressure on the regulator dial and it's down to 10 PSI I turned off the gas...I checked the pressure relief on the keg and it still has pressure....I've soap tested every connection and can't see any bubbles or hear any leaks...

I'm certainly a newbie at kegging but if give it 20 PSI and then remove it from the gas then some of the CO2 may begin to absorb into the liquid lowering the pressure. If you leave it connected then it should maintain pressure.

Back