Newbie: Coopers Draught pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardsAndBeer

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm 100% new to brewing and just wondered if my current brew (coopers draught, extract) is looking ok. As I said I'm new to brewing so I've got no idea how my brew should be looking at this point. I've had it fermenting for 4 days now and I just pulled a sample to do a gravity test. All advise is welcome, I did give it a taste test and needles to say it tasted like A$$! But it smells amazing:) so let me no how she looks, thanks. BnB

image-291570719.jpg

image-1304002613.jpg

image-3708902726.jpg

There was actually a lot more head on the last pic but I let the sample sit for about 15 minutes before taking the pics.

Attachments

• image-1216821180.jpg
    image-1216821180.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 746
Looks ok so far. But at 4 days,only initial fermentation may be over. It'll slowly ferment down to FG from here. I usually don't test minr till the two week mark. It's typically close to done by then.
And green beer that early on won't taste so good,so no worries there.

unionrdr said:
Looks ok so far. But at 4 days,only initial fermentation may be over. It'll slowly ferment down to FG from here. I usually don't test minr till the two week mark. It's typically close to done by then.
And green beer that early on won't taste so good,so no worries there.

Two weeks?! I was under the impression it was going to be done after one week of fermentation and two weeks of being bottled

BeardsAndBeer said:
Two weeks?! I was under the impression it was going to be done after one week of fermentation and two weeks of being bottled

Yup you are a total noob :), welcome to the addiction. I personally would leave it 3 weeks then bottle and let them sit 2 more weeks. I did a few of those Coopers kits before moving to AG and they turned out well.

Transamguy77 said:
Yup you are a total noob :), welcome to the addiction. I personally would leave it 3 weeks then bottle and let them sit 2 more weeks. I did a few of those Coopers kits before moving to AG and they turned out well.

Yep I told you so haha so eager to taste my new creation! Isnt there a way to tell when the brew is ready by using a hydrometer?

BeardsAndBeer said:
Yep I told you so haha so eager to taste my new creation! Isnt there a way to tell when the brew is ready by using a hydrometer?

Best "noob" comment ever. Your halfway through the battle, now win the war!

BeardsAndBeer said:

I've done coopers and followed the instructions on the can, turned out ehhhh ok. I since followed advice from here and ignored the instructions. Give it 2/3 wks in primary or 7 days after you get a consistent FG, bottle and WAIT WAIT WAIT. It will be worth it. I bet you try one after a week :). No harm if you do as you'll see why u should leave it longer.
Congrats on making beer

OhCrap said:
I've done coopers and followed the instructions on the can, turned out ehhhh ok. I since followed advice from here and ignored the instructions. Give it 2/3 wks in primary or 7 days after you get a consistent FG, bottle and WAIT WAIT WAIT. It will be worth it. I bet you try one after a week :). No harm if you do as you'll see why u should leave it longer.
Congrats on making beer

I didn't realize how popular coopers is, I just chose it because I didn't have many other options but since I started the brew I have met guys that are crazy over it! It seems nearly everyone has done a coopers brew atleast once. I wonder why the instructions wouldn't tell you to leave it longer... Maybe so you buy another coopers tin sooner, but surely they'd want to keep there customers happy with the brew... No doubt I'll try one after a week but the rest will be left to 'age' I might have to start a second or third fermenter so I've got a constant supply and won't have to crack them early.

I generally leave up to mid gravity ales to condition in the bottles 4-5 weeks before they're good for 2 weeks fridge time. That'll give thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

Back