Lilrascal's Motorized Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilrascal

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well once again thanks to the help and inspiration from people on this forum I built my own motorized mill. At the NHC this year I took advantage of the discount that monster mill offered and ordered their MM-3 mill with extended grain chute. I wanted to go with a direct drive motor. There was some question on whether the motor that everyone was using would have enough torque for a 3 roller mill. Link to Motor.

I decided to take my chances, and ordered it, along with the appropriate love-joy spider couplings from McMaster Carr. I found a overstock cabinet for reasonable at the local HOBO's. I made the top from some leftover lumber. I wired the switch for forward and reverse. The sliding shelf I relocated to the bottom, so it can hold the bucket. I needed to make a chute to get the grain from the opening in the top closer to the bucket. I ended up cutting out the bottom of a taller Tupperware container, and attaching that to the underside (not visible in pictures). It works great.

Well there is no doubts in my mind about this motor handling the grain. I used it the other day on 20 lbs of grain without any problems. It went along at a nice slow and steady rate, and produced an excellent crush, with no signs of bogging down. I am hopeful it will last for some time.

Please excuse the messy basement in the photos. :(

Any questions or comments, fire away!

IMG_42163.JPG

IMG_42174.JPG

IMG_42182.JPG

Back