5.1 Frigidaire build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingman0330

Reaction score
I decided to jump in to this hobby full on and build a keezer. I also liked the idea of not having to take all the time to bottle and wait the extra 2 weeks. First I want to say that I do not consider my self to be very handy when it comes to this kinda thing so I didn't want to make any big cuts into the freezer its self. I found the Frigidaire model FFFC05M3LW on sale at Best Buy for $143 and figured it was the best time to get started.

This freezer was extremly easy to convert, I basicilly popped the plastic cover off the door hing, unscrewed the hinges and the door came right off. Then I dicided on a 2x4 because the freezer can easily fit two kegs and I don't think a 2x6 would make any difference in the effort to get a third keg in there. I had lowes cut the 2x4 came home screwed it all together and stained it. After the stain dried I attached the top to the collar using only the top hing screws because the bottom two over hung the collar on to the freezer and they didn't alight with the original screw holes. Then I lined the collar with some rubber matting I found at lowes to insulate the wood.

The only thing I didn't do is secure the collar to the freezer its self. I haven't figured out the best way to attach and insulte this part of the build. What I'm looking for is something that will keep the collar secure and can eaisily be removed if I wanted to convert it all back to the original freezer.

I got most of my parts from Keg Connection I used:

1 Keg Kit with a 5lb Co2 tank
525PC Perlic Faucet
5 1/8" shank

Inside the Freezer

IMG_20110426_193311.jpg

Before the Faucet

IMG_20110427_153744.jpg

Finished Product

IMG_20110430_153117.jpg

My collar is a lot taller than yours (2x10) so I was able to use the original mounting screw-holes for the hinges that were on the freezer to attach a couple bits of 1x6 to those holes and then screw them into the wooden collar above and then simply screw the hinges into the collar without any overlap. If I ever turn it back into a freezer, the original lid will just mount right back into the original holes.
Gonna be more difficult to do that with a 2x4 but I've seen lots of people on here just use silicone caulk or camper tape without needing any expensive glues or screws or anything. That said, I can almost promise you that you'll never want to turn it back into a freezer, ever.

Back