Weird question about keg carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKennett

Reaction score
So I just got my new keezer up and running. I had a problem with the Love controller with a shorted probe causing, what I believe happened, the freezer to override the Love controller. The result was, my beer froze. I got everything thawed and back to proper temps. I have liquid temps of 38-40 F depending on first or second pour, and the kegs are kept at 12psi.

It seems after this event that my beer is extra fizzy. I get a lot of foam on pours and I can see CO2 coming out of solution in the beer lines. My question is, can the freezing and then thawing of the beer cause extra CO2 to be absorbed into the liquid? Should I purge the kegs and let them sit without gas for awhile to equalize?

it makes sense concidering co2 goes into solution easier at colder temperatures.

My question is, can the freezing and then thawing of the beer cause extra CO2 to be absorbed into the liquid? Should I purge the kegs and let them sit without gas for awhile to equalize?

Yes, it makes sense that it would be slightly overcarbed now. I'd do exactly like you said, purge a bit and reduce carbonation. Some people say once beer is frozen then thawed it loses flavor but I've never noticed too much of a difference. (i've slightly frozen some kegged beer aswell).

Latest posts

Back