Anyone else call in sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonel_colon

Reaction score
to work today? Just so they could brew?

I meant to brew on Sunday and use the yeast cake from last weeks brew, but never had any time.
So I called in sick with a sore throat just so I could finish this brew....
ahh....
I hope retirement will be like this.... too bad I have 30 more years to work...

Not me, but this next weekend I will be brewing. There's something very special about brewing beer on a day that everyone else is working though. I love taking the entire week off and chilling out. Of course being in the military and getting 30 days off a year is nice. I think right now I have about 75 days of vacation time I can take whenever I please.

Have fun today!

Dan

colonel_colon said:
to work today? Just so they could brew?

I meant to brew on Sunday and use the yeast cake from last weeks brew, but never had any time.
So I called in sick with a sore throat just so I could finish this brew....
ahh....
I hope retirement will be like this.... too bad I have 30 more years to work...
It's funny that you post this, because I was thinking of *cough* calling in sick to brew today. I decided to just wait and brew tonight when I get home.

Not me, it would cost me a day off. I don't get sick days. I get "Paid Time Off" which is vacation and sick days combined.

On the other hand, I have started a batch at 6:00 PM and finished at 12:30 AM. It was one of the most enjoyable brews I have ever made. Nice and quiet outside at that time. SWMBO & kidlets are in bed. Cold Hefe & Haus Ale on tap. Man, Life IS good!

I wanted to brew this upcoming weekend but with Easter and a bunch of other stuff, I won't have the chance. :(

I'm planning on doing what Ed did and start at 5 or 6 PM on Tuesday. It will make for a short night but well worth it for 10 gallons of hefe! :rockin:

Thought about it. I had a dream this morning that I was able to get out of bed and knock out an all-grain batch in an hour before work. I took it as a sign to stay home and do it....then I saw the bills on the table and took that as a sign to go to work and make some money to pay those bills.

Maybe this weekend.

Ed, your sig says Cab Sauv kit on tap -- do you actually keg it? For serving/drinking, or just prolonged aging before bottling? I ask because my SWMBO is a wine drinker, I have a Sauv Blanc kit on deck, and also want to do some red wines (what she prefers) - was wondering if I can figure a way to avoid bottling & corking. (if this is thread hijack, just PM me, please). Thanks.

The honesty here is staggering.....A transparent lot we are....I would need to know for sure that my boss isn't a closet brewer or something before I take off my "company man" mask.....

Nope. Too rainy here and it is getting colder by the hour. It'll hit the upper-30s and stay there most of the week.

I wanted to brew my Alt this weekend, but I have Easter plans w/ my girlfriend and her family. I'll be at her place all weekend. So, instead of me brewing, I'll be helping her brew a partial mash Kolsch at her place on Saturday. That's better than no brewing at all. ;) :D

I'm still hoping to brew on Saturday. My weldless kit showed up last night so I'm going to brew on Saturday if I can get my keggle finished up.

Rhoobarb said:
Nope. Too rainy here and it is getting colder by the hour. It'll hit the upper-30s and stay there most of the week.

I wanted to brew my Alt this weekend, but I have Easter plans w/ my girlfriend and her family. I'll be at her place all weekend. So, instead of me brewing, I'll be helping her brew a partial mash Kolsch at her place on Saturday. That's better than no brewing at all. ;) :D

Hey Rhoobarb,

Please check out this thread about avatars...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24898/

I'm asking you politely to change your avatar.....

Woo hoo! Just finished my stock ale brew and the immersion chiller is cranking away...
I may only brew on sick days... this is great.
I slept in, played with the dog, went to the gym, brewed and drank!
this is the life. good luck with your weekend brews and happy easter!
(look at how excited I am! I keep using exclamation points!!!)

LouT said:
Ed, your sig says Cab Sauv kit on tap -- do you actually keg it? For serving/drinking, or just prolonged aging before bottling? I ask because my SWMBO is a wine drinker, I have a Sauv Blanc kit on deck, and also want to do some red wines (what she prefers) - was wondering if I can figure a way to avoid bottling & corking. (if this is thread hijack, just PM me, please). Thanks.

I kegged it and used the nitrogen cartridges for dispensing it. Works out pretty well, but I have a cheapo faucet attached to a ball lock connector.

Next time, I'll go through the bottling effort so I can properly age it and give some away. Having it on tap is pretty cool, but can get a bit dangerous. With bottles, you can always count em. :D

But, I can feel somewhat confident that a greater portion of females may not think that i't's in the best taste...for a site about home beer brewing and I don't think that I really need to justify it whether it's offensive or not, it is to me. There may be a few others who feel that way as well.

In any event, the link cites that avatars should be kept PG. That's not asking too much is it. I don't want to see that junk. If someone who moderates or Tex thinks it's okay, fine. I'll deal with that then.

I think there's a place to share that kind of content here, I personally don't want to see it.

Its just a top-part of a thong, you can see that in any PG movie. I'm offended by someones avatar that makes a mockery of Jesus, but I'm not gonna whine about it.

this is off-topic anyways, probably gonna get deleted.

It's very difficult to call in sick when you are retired. I'm waiting for my lawn mower to get fixed, so I can brew the second batch of Bent Rod Rye - a Broken Lawn Mower Ale. Mower broke when I did the first batch, so ...

Yeah, today was a work from home day for me too, didn't brew though, I brewed last week on my work from home day. So far today "work from home" has entailed watching The Goonies and playing video games:D

Well I called in sick today because I am. I lose pay for days off sick, but today I had enough overtime built up to cover me a few days if needed.

Not even well enough to drink more than 3 or 4 pale ales, 2 or 3 lagers and a couple of stout. Gotta sweat it out, right?

homebrewer_99 said:
I don't see anything offensive. What about it offends you? I think he should keep it.:D

Hmmm, a forum dedicated to the fermentation of ADULT beverages. We are all adults here, right?

Anyone go to a commerical beer site? What's the first thing you have to do once you land on their home page?

I love Rhoobs avatars. Keeps things interesting.

Go Rhooobs!

EdWort said:
Hmmm, a forum dedicated to the fermentation of ADULT beverages. We are all adults here, right?

Anyone go to a commerical beer site? What's the first thing you have to do once you land on their home page?

I love Rhoobs avatars. Keeps things interesting.

Go Rhooobs!

We'll see how that goes when the avatars are of such a nature that people will wonder whether you're on a gay male site, or neo-nazi's. When it comes to something that you might not want to see, like a some anti-religious or anti-american or whatever, how will it be then?? It's all good when YOU'RE enjoying what you're looking at but God forbid someone else doesn't like it....

I turned off avatars in my CP, I wasn't aware that you could. Problem fixed for me. Sorry about having an opinion. Back to what it's supposed to be about, mature adults getting together to learn about, enjoy the intricities of home brewing....

lgtg said:
I turned off avatars in my CP, I wasn't aware that you could. Problem fixed for me. Sorry about having an opinion. Back to what it's supposed to be about, mature adults getting together to learn about, enjoy the intricities of home brewing....

We don't have a choice. We aren't paid supporters and as such don't get the option of having an avater.

I'll admit, that is one thing I miss about extracts. Two hours from start to clean up. Any weekday evening and you could have a new brew perculating in the workshop.

Nowadays, since going AG, my SWMBO doesn't even ask what I'm doing on Saturday. :cross:

:off:
By the way Roobarb, could you shift a little to the right? I think I can see your crack.

BierMuncher said:
I'll admit, that is one thing I miss about extracts. Two hours from start to clean up. Any weekday evening and you could have a new brew perculating in the workshop.

Nowadays, since going AG, my SWMBO doesn't even ask what I'm doing on Saturday. :cross:

Yep, I used to have it down to two hours and Yep, SWMBO now asks "What are ya brewin this weekend?" If I'm in town.

I brewed yesterday while all you suckers were at work. However, I normally get Sundays and Mondays off, so I had the whole house to myself all day.

EdWort said:
I kegged it and used the nitrogen cartridges for dispensing it. Works out pretty well, but I have a cheapo faucet attached to a ball lock connector.

Next time, I'll go through the bottling effort so I can properly age it and give some away. Having it on tap is pretty cool, but can get a bit dangerous. With bottles, you can always count em. :D

Thanks, good to know, I hadn't thought about the nitrogen method. Also good to know the downside! Like a big boys & big girl's juice box you have there!

I am new to homebrewing have only made 3 batches so far the first one is GONE and was the best beer I have ever had, and I am just not saying that. It was a West Coast Blond Ale. I gave my first sample to some friends that have road there Harley Bikes around the world and on there trip they did there share of drinking and they were very impressed with my brew and were ever still talking about it the next day. My next batch will be ready to try one this weekend it's been bottled for a week so I will give one a try tomorrow, and the third will be getting bottled in the next few days. With my job I get 12 paid sick days a year and now have somewhere around 55 or so "sick" days, 3 personal days, 20 Vac days. I am on spring break this next week and will be doing some more brewing the first nice day off that I have. Only time will tell when I Will make that phone call and let them know I am sick and need to stay home and make some good ole HOME BREW!!!!!!!

Congrats and welcome to the addiction (the brewing not the beer...no one likes a quitter:D)

I recently started and am in love with the hobby!

Dan

I came home from sick a few times and brewed, was slightly under the weather. I can nail a brew session in 4.5 hours if I got my joojoo on. It all just starts flowing together a few days before hand, a little of this here, a little of that, and then all of sudden I'm making beer at 4:45 pm on a Monday. Oh yeah, it also forces me to skip yoga.

Back