How is the Italian Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyerwire

Reaction score
I'm just starting to get into brewing and trying to get a setup going. Right now i'm basically just looking at 5 gallon batches and not sure if i am going to step up to something higher, i do know that I will most likely be going all grain so i want the extra room in the kettle.

That being said, it looks like NB is doing a closeout on their 9 gallon italian kettles. Its 100 cheaper then the megapot i was looking at initially, how is the quality? I know its not a seamless design, does that matter as much? Is it better to bit the bullet now and go for a better kettle (the megapot)? THanks!

9 Gallon Modified Kettle - Modified Italian Kettles - Brew Kettles - Equipment

While many won't agree, I still think 9 gallons is a bit small for AG. Many times I have almost 8 gallons to start the boil. I know you can make it, but I would look bigger. If you have the option, go big enough to do 10 gallon batches.

Thanks!

i'm getting the 10 gallon coolers for the mash tun and hot liquor tank, so they would be sized correctly, i've been kicking around the "just suck it up and get a 15 gallon kettle" so i have the option to go to 10 gallon batches, basically spend a little more now instead of a lot more later. Is using a 15 gallon kettle for a 5 gallon batch wildly inefficient or not too bad?

I used a keggle for 5 gallon batches. Now my smallest boil pot is 20 gallons Here is what I use now for the boils. I still do the off 5 gallon batch

30 gallons baby:rockin:

pot.JPG

haha very nice. I do have the tendency to go crazy in my hobbies, and i can definitely see talking myself into 10 gallon batches a lot sooner then i think right now. Not sure i need a 30 gallon!!

I've got an aluminum pot, and I'd definitely buy another one. You can get an 80 qt aluminum pot with a weldless fitting for cheaper than the $119 9g pot above.

Hi I'm also possibly in the market for a kettle, but don't want to kill the bank. If I did I'd get a 10 gal Blichmann. I'm looking either at the Brewers edge from williams mentioned above and the 9 gal one at NB also mentioned above.

It seems like neither one tells you what the bottom is made of and how thick it is. Anyone know?

9 Gallon
9 Gallon Modified Kettle

10 Gallon
BREWER'S EDGE 40 QUART BREWKETTLE @ Williams Brewing

I've got an aluminum pot, and I'd definitely buy another one. You can get an 80 qt aluminum pot with a weldless fitting for cheaper than the $119 9g pot above.

I agree. I have stainless steel mega-pots, aluminum stock pots, and keggles and while I like them all, the aluminum always boils faster and requires significantly less propane per batch.

In addition, it easily fits on my stove for deep winter brews and boils just fine. For obvious reasons, the keggles doesn't fit and the larger megapots take a long time to bring up to boil - compared to the aluminum.

The only thing I DON'T like about the alum is the cleaning factor. Every once in a while you need to scrub real hard and it takes the coating off so you need to boil water in it again before using it to brew.

I am just upgrading to begin AG, and I have to say my morebeer BE315 60qt SS pot is marvelous, its a monster, but it is marvelous, bloody marvelous!

If you see yourself going to 10gal batches, do a sanke conversion.
$30 for a retired keg from a brewery
$25 weldless ball valve
$6 siphon tube

I am still extract, but invite a friend over and do 10gal full boil and split the wort.

Any one got a lead on Sanke's in the Portland, OR area? I have emailed breweries but I've come up dry. :confused:

Back