Low attenuation. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringitonhome

Reaction score
Hi-
For my first batch, i brewed a brown ale:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3365
which uses munton's dry yeast. The instructions say that the target SG is 1.044-1.048, and the target FG is 1.010-1.012. My SG came in a bit high at 1.051. I took gravity readings at days 7, 8, and 9 in the primary - all read 1.021, so I racked to the secondary fermenter. But, if my calculations are correct, that is only an attenuation rate of ~59%. So my questions are:

How much affect will those 10 pts have on the flavor of the beer? It is noticeably sweet now - i know that the flavor will probably change over the next five weeks (two in primary, three in bottles), but i'm afraid that the remaining sugar will dominate the flavor of the beer

Also - if the yeast have decided to stop eating fermentables now, what's going to happen when i bottle? Will the beer get carbonated?

There's some debate as to why this happens. Some say it's because carmelization creates unfermentable sugars and a late extract addition will help with that. Some say it's the use of dry yeast or liquid extract, and it's because of that I've started using dry extract and liquid yeast. All I know is that I've had a couple brews finish high and they've turned out excellent, without any problems with off flavors or lack of carbonation.

Agreed Hooter... this has happened a couple of times for me... FG seemed high, but it did carbonate and it was enjoyable... albiet, not my best beer ever.

I have had this happen with the Muntons dry, I've had it happen with a couple different strains of liquid Wyeast. Once I started using the safeale dry yeast, I've never had that problem... quite the contrary... I usually finish a point or two lower than my expected FG. Really good stuff.

Bottom line.... every drop of your beer will go through the liver with a smile on your face.

If the yeast have stopped lowering gravity but you don't think it should be done, don't worry. The yeast may pick back up in the secondary. I have a Chimay blue that was racked off out of necessity when it was only ~60% attentuated (still at 1.040 from 1.104)...its "twin" batch started at 1.091 and was down to 1.020. The one that came out at 1.040 has fresh yeast colonies floating in the secondary, and it appears to be working again...so it should finish down between 1.025 and 1.020 like the other one.

hmm interesting. Guess I just wait it out and see what happens :)

And BTW - I did a 3 Gal boil with a late extract addition.

Stop messin with it... the beer will probably drop a few points by itsself. If it hasn't dropped in two weeks from now add a crushed up beano tablet.

Do not add Beano, it will breakdown all of the malt & you will have a very thin beer. Beano should only be used if you can re-heat your beer to de-nature it.

Update - I got bored last night so I chilled one of the bottles (5 days in) and tried it.

Delicious!

Nice strong carbonation, thick creamy head. Nice malty taste, no off-flavors (that my palate could detect, anyway). The only thing was a very very slight "empty" aftertase - almost club soda-like. Guessing this will work itself out. Even if it doesn't - it's barely noticeable.

I guess it's just another anecdote to support "RDWHAHB"...

Back