lookin' for a good recipe for a coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEcted1

Reaction score
Hello.

I am going to start my second batch on saturday. I am aiming for a full-bodied coffee stout. I am a newb so I will need to use extracts, also this will be done with a partial boil (because of the crappiness of my stove) any suggestions?

There's a recipe in the Sep '05 BYO for Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout...both extract and ag versions. Holler if you don't have that issue and I'll dig it up.

El Pistolero said:
There's a recipe in the Sep '05 BYO for Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout...both extract and ag versions. Holler if you don't have that issue and I'll dig it up.

Unfortunately I don't have that issue.

I've got an espresso stout recipe that I'm pretty proud of, but (of course) I'm probably biased. I've tweaked it since the last brewing, and haven't brewed THIS version yet, but here it is:

Walker's Espresso Stout

Grains (steep in 1.5gal @150-160°F for 40 minutes, rinse w/ 1.5 gal @170°F)
1# 90L crystal
1/3# black roast
1/3# roasted barley
1/2# carapils (for head)

Extract/Sugar
2.75# Laaglander Dark DME
5.00# Amber or Light DME
1.00# dark brown sugar (to boost alcohol since the Laaglander DME is high in dextrins and to give a slight taste of molasses)

Misc
dark italian espresso (brewed and added to taste at bottling time - about 16 oz is what I like)

Hops
1.00 oz perle for 60 minutes
0.25 oz chinook for 60 minutes

Yeast
Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast (1084)

Priming
Prime with 1.25 cups dry malt extract

yup. I add some and mix it in. Then I taste the beer and repeat the add/mix until I have the level of coffee flavor that I want. Then I bottle it.

-walker

Baron von BeeGee said:
Are you willing to steep grains? Are you wanting to actually add coffee, or just get the roasty-coffee flavors that the grains can impart?

Yes I'm willing to steep grains. I was hoping to use real coffee beans.

Back