Beer tasting "dry"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemontato

Reaction score
EDIT: Conclusion: Extracted tannins from steeping my grains at a temperature way too high.

My first batch has a very crisp, dry taste. It tastes really good, definitely gonna drink all this batch but it leaves your mouth a bit dry.

What causes that? Fermentation temps too high? What should I be aiming for in the middle of the wort? Side of the fermenter? I'm building a fermentation chamber right now so temps won't be a problem for the next batch.

Thanks!

"Dry" means "Not Sweet"

Is that what you mean? It almost sounded like your brew dried your mouth out.

It sounds to me like tannins. Tannins will leave your mouth dry feeling. Like that feeling tea gives your mouth. I believe a too high of a mash pH will extract tannins from the grain.

"Dry" means "Not Sweet"

Is that what you mean? It almost sounded like your brew dried your mouth out.

Hm, it's definitely not sweet. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it does kinda get your mouth dry. I'll upload the recipe in a few seconds.

Here's the recipe, ambient temp was around 70F, 5 days in primary, 10 days in secondary, 2 weeks bottled:

UY9dzL9.jpg

USfEBKV.jpg

trlD8n1.jpg

If you fermented at ambient temperature, the actual fermentation temperature was a few degrees higher in all likelihood. Nottingham yeast doesn't like higher temperatures in my experience. With that said, that would probably produce fusels and esters that you would notice. I see the recipe also calls for a tick over a pound of honey. Honey is pretty much 100% fermentable, and is often used to dry a beer out. What did you reach for final gravity (FG) on this beer? It could have attenuated a fair amount, leaving the "dry" or "crisp" taste to your palette.

If you fermented at ambient temperature, the actual fermentation temperature was a few degrees higher in all likelihood. Nottingham yeast doesn't like higher temperatures in my experience. With that said, that would probably produce fusels and esters that you would notice. I see the recipe also calls for a tick over a pound of honey. Honey is pretty much 100% fermentable, and is often used to dry a beer out. What did you reach for final gravity (FG) on this beer? It could have attenuated a fair amount, leaving the "dry" or "crisp" taste to your palette.

FG was 1.012, didn't think to take OG. I'm not sure what fusels / esters taste like, so it might have them.

What temperature did you steep the grains at? To me it sounds like you extracted tannins from the specialty grains by steeping at too high of a temperature.

What temperature did you steep the grains at? To me it sounds like you extracted tannins from the specialty grains by steeping at too high of a temperature.

Around 175 F I believe, maybe a bit higher, didn't have a thermometer on hand.

Around 175 F I believe, maybe a bit higher, didn't have a thermometer on hand.

First I'd STRONGLY suggest that you get a thermometer. If you mashed at 175F you denatured any enzymes that would have created fermentables beyond the honey you added.
You really need to get a good grasp of the processes you need to know for creating consistently good beer.
Do you have access to any basic brewing books? I'd suggest Palmer's book as a god start.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Could be your issue. You typically want to go no higher than about 150F for steeping grains.

Probably. Like I said I just followed the recipe which said an educated guess will do, based on the fact that when it is close to boiling you should remove from stove and add the grains. Thats what I did pretty much.

Wouldn't adding the room-temperature grains reduce the temperature enough to bring it close to 155ish?

Probably. Like I said I just followed the recipe which said an educated guess will do, based on the fact that when it is closed to boiling you should remove from stove and add the grains. Thats what I did pretty much.

Actually the recipe said to steep
Your grains at 155F & to make sure you didn't boil them.

Actually the recipe said to steep
Your grains at 155F & to make sure you didn't boil them.

Actually the recipe also said an educated guess will do. I said 175 F. Keep in mind I didn't have a thermometer on hand, so this is a ballpark estimate, it could've been as much 150 as 200 F.

The grains were added before it started boiling but when it was definitely too hot to touch. Which would most probably be higher than 50-60ish celsius but lower than 100 (obviously). This is as much as I know, since like I said I didn't have a thermometer on hand.

Also, if you need to be arrogant about it, please refrain from commenting.

Actually the recipe also said an educated guess will do. I said 175 F. Keep in mind I didn't have a thermometer on hand, so this is a ballpark estimate, it could've been as much 150 as 200 F.

If you need to be arrogant about it, please refrain from commenting, I'd rather have some constructive help than pure criticism.

The grains were added before it started boiling but when it was definitely too hot to touch. Which would most probably be higher than 50-60ish celsius but lower than 100 (obviously). This is as much as I know, since like I said I didn't have a thermometer on hand.

I bet this is your problem. If you got it almost boiling then took it off the stove I think you were probably close to 200° and extracted tannins. You said you like the flavor so brew it again but with a thermometer next time and see if the mouth drying effect goes away.

I bet this is your problem. If you got it almost boiling then took it off the stove I think you were probably close to 200° and extracted tannins. You said you like the flavor so brew it again but with a thermometer next time and see if the mouth drying effect goes away.

I just ordered a thermometer, so next time I'll definitely make sure to hit the target steeping temperature. At least it didn't ruin my batch!

Back