Help with first gluten free beer, buckwheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
Okay, my sister-in-law is trying to go gluten free because of chron's like problems that she thinks could be related to gluten. As a Christmas present I wanted to brew her some gluten free beer. Instead of just making a straight extract sorghum beer, I wanted to add some buckwheat for some nuttiness.

Here is what I was thinking, please tell me if this would work at all

1lb cracked buckwheat roasted at 325 until I get a nice browned color.

Steep the resulting roasted buckwheat in 160F water for 20 minutes.
Bring to a boil, add 3.3lbs sorghum extract. .5oz cascade hops for 1hr, 1oz cascade hops for 15 minutes and .5oz cascade hops at flame out.

2.5G batch. S-05 yeast for 3 weeks and then bottle.

Honestly that won't yield much of anything nutty for you. Buckwheat is such a subtle flavor. You could do a number of things to add character to your sorghum based beer. Honey at flameout, candi syrups, steep toasted oats, or even a cereal mash of malted millet

Toasted oats sound interesting. Can I just roast some regular quick oats? Or a particular variety?

I've also heard there can sometimes be some cross contamination with wheat for oats. Should I worry about this at all?

Yes. Get certified gluten free oats. Oats are often grown and processed with wheat.

I don't have a lot of experience with oats, but my advice would be to stay away from fermentables that have a lot of starch until you have a process you know works for you. For a Christmas present you run the risk of realizing that you don't like the results too late to do another batch.

I would use your original recipe but add a 8 oz Belgian candy syrup, 4 oz maltodextrin. Add water at the end as needed to keep the OG between 1.055 and 1.060. A few teaspoons of yeast nutrient would not hurt.

Can't think of a better Christmas present!

Well, I've decided to jump in with both feet. I browned 1lb of steel cut gluten free oats in the oven at 325 for an hour and then 350 for the last 10 or so minutes it took. I then bagged 3/4 of a pound of it and put the last 4oz back in the oven at 450 for a few minutes to roast them.

Fingers crossed that this gives some vague resemlance to the SRM and flavor profile that something like victory and roasted barley would give.

I won't know the final product until it has fermented out, but I should at least be able to tell if there are any really bad flavor profiles from the oats up front after cooking the wort.

Okay, thanks.

I am going to brew either Sunday or Monday next week. So, hopefully the week to "air out" in a brown paper bag should be long enough.

Back