Help me identify my yeast trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landocal9

Reaction score
I recently kegged a Scotch ale brewed with Wyeast 1728. I've harvested the yeast cake and allowed the trub/yeast to settle, but I'm having trouble identifying the yeast (see image below). Is the whole thing yeast? The only hops I used were 1oz of chinook pellets. I've harvested yeast in the past where it's very easy to see the distinct layers of yeast, trub, beer... but not so in this case. Same thing is happening with my coffee milk stout. Thanks in advance!

I should mention that this has been sitting in the fridge for about 2 days now.. beer seems to be separated, but that's it.

photo-3-e1374987042468.jpg

I think i see a layer of separation there on the bottom but it might be the reflection of the light from ur fridge, not totally sure. maybe decant that layer of water, add some new sterilized water and shake it up. After about ten minutes pour that stuff in suspension into a new jar. Hopefully that will leave most of the trub behind.

Back