New Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarver

Reaction score
So I am looking for a new brew kettle, I do extract batches now but plan on making the switch to all grain within the next year. I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this kettle. I would like a spigot, and only plan on doing 5 gal batches (even when I step up to all grain).

Would I be better off going with the 10 gal or would the $30 cheaper 8 gal work for what I plan on doing? I was tempted to get a 10 gal blichmann, but decided I would settle for a cheaper one for the next few years.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-Stainless-Steel-10-Gallon-Spigot-Pot/6660146/product.html

I'd go with the 10 gallon one. I only do 5 gallon batches myself and with the 10 gallon pot I've had a couple times of near boil overs when I wasn't paying attention. It's also nice if you ever want to do longer boils you have more room to account for more evaporation with longer boil. I just find having the extra room is worth the cost difference and gives you more options going forward.

Gduck is right. That extra space is going to come in handy. Also, you may want to brew a high octane all grain brew in the future, and may need to heat up 8-9+ gallons of water for the mash.

Definitely go with 10 gallon. I actually boil off about 2gal/hour, so I found myself always starting out with at least 7 gallons in the pot. That's not leaving me much room. Plus, lately, I've decided to step up to 6 gallons going into the fermentor, just to make sure I end up with a true 5 gallons going inot the keg, so even less room. Basically, I'm saying you never know what you might decide to brew later on. Then there is the fact of doing a 90 minute boil, which some recipes will call for, in that case you have to start with even more wort to boil. So, when the only negative is an additional $30, I think you'll end up being much happier going with teh 10 gallon pot.

Heck, I'm already looking at parties this summer and am thinking of going up to 15 gallons, just so I can brew a few extra gallons to throw into a 2/5 gallon keg and travel with to parties. So yeah, I ramble, but 10 gallons would be a good move.

Thanks for all the great info everyone, was pretty sure I would be getting the 10 gal regardless. One last question, anyone have any opinions on the Bayou Classic I linked? Spigot looks halfway respectable with a threaded fitting on the end.

Thanks again!

I agree that the 10 gallon is the way to go at this point if you have the BTU's for the boil. 8 gallons is too close to preboil volume for 5 gallon bottling volume.
I am still on the kitchen gas stove, so I have to use two smaller pots in order to get a decent boil(s).

Thanks for all the great info everyone, was pretty sure I would be getting the 10 gal regardless. One last question, anyone have any opinions on the Bayou Classic I linked? Spigot looks halfway respectable with a threaded fitting on the end.

Thanks again!

I think that kettle is just fine.
I have the 11 gal version and I purchased and modified it with 3pc ball valve, 1/2" nipple
and internal elbow downtube and it pretty much ended up costing me about the same.

Rugged kettle that will last a long time, especially if you take care of it.

BREW ON BROTHER.... BREW ON!!!!!

Back