help i beg you!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstar89

Reaction score
so today i put my apple raspberry into its carboy. and added potassium medibi sulfate 1 tea spoon 4 gallon batch and added to 550 mg campden tablet the issue comes i forgot to let siphon drip out of all the star San so now there stan San solution in the wine is it ruined!

The star-san is safe, but the huge megadose of potassium metabisulfate is not. If you used 1 teaspoon of k-meta, that's more than four times too much. If you added an additional 550 mg of campden (also potassium metabisulfate), that's more than I can even begin to imagine.

(If that is what you meant).

oh sorry LOL no i added a teaspoon of Potassium Sorbate and 2 550 capden tablets how will it turn out

Oh, if you used potassium sorbate, which is a preservative and keeps yeast from reproducing, it won't ferment at all.

It's rarely used, but can be useful before bottling in a wine that is sweetened.

I know you said you just put all in carboy, but is this wine done fermenting or are you just starting the wine?

If just starting, there is a good chance that the sorbate dose will inhibit the yeast from reproducing. But the fact that you only added one teaspoon to four gallons gives you some chance at some yeast activity--I would encourage a huge starter. Most sorbate packets say to use 1/2 tsp per gallon--in preparation for bottling. If you are in the stabilizing mode, and wine has finished fermenting, then you have added only 50% of the necessary sorbate.

it was only at 7% could i add another yeast and it ferment out to full capabily. is it gonna matter there was a litte star san water in it

redstar89 said:
it was only at 7% could i add another yeast and it ferment out to full capabily. is it gonna matter there was a litte star san water in it

With the sorbate in your wine, adding yeast will not restart fermentation.

redstar89 said:
ok so will the yeat i added just sink to teh bottem and cuase no problems

Yes it will sink to the bottom.

You can drink this as is once it clears or you can blend it with a higher alcohol batch to bump it up a bit.

Your problem isn't the Star San (which is completely safe ) its the Sorbate... you won't get any fermentation after adding the sorbate..what ever yeast you have won't reproduce. And if you add more yeast the sorbate will also take care of that strain as well.... Sorry but you just made a 7% drink

Back