Need an egg beater for hot side oxygenation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
OK John Palmer says to be careful of hot side oxygenation, then he says dont worry you would need an egg beater to produce hot side oxygenation off flavors.

OK, what constituents an egg beater effect?

Does draining my wort into a grant then pouring it into my boil kettle. Is that an egg beater effect? Thats how I aerate at the end of the boil, just pour the wort back and forth into two primary ale pales.

I have done this before, and the wort in the brew kettle is nice and foamy, am I crossing the line into hot side aeration?

Unless you've having problems, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My wort gets plenty of oxygen exposure at mash temps without any noticeable effects.

HSA is a topic around here you'll be tarred and feathered for bringing up. Simply put, it is almost non-existant at the home brewer level. Type "Hot side aeration" into the search bar and read some of the threads that come up.

A homebrew buddy lauters on top of a burner stand that is about 4 feet high, straight down into a kettle on the ground with no hose. When I saw this, and the bubbles and frothing it produces I almost said something, but at the time I was sipping on a lager he made with no noticeable off flavors so I shut my mouth.

Yea, I brew BIAB at home and squeeze the bag- that's a lot of hot wort falling about a foot into my BK, plenty of splashing and foaming but have never had an issue with HSA, including long-term stored beers and beers entered into competition.

Back