Do you really need a stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, of course not. But, it dramatically improves the growth rate.

plus one

That pretty much will answers the question, I have done it both ways, ALOT better with the plate. Keeps the lazy yeast off the bottom and makes then eat.

Yep.

Not required. You can just shake the container every time you walk by, but a stir plate is just set it an forget it. You can get a stirstarter stir plate for abou $40. One of the best things I have purchased for brewing.

+1 there...

Which means you will be able to use a smaller starter for the same batch with a stirplate compared with without. Plus, the starter on the stirplate will be finished faster/sooner. Typically in under 24 hours. Sometimes in just 12-18 hours.

I've made starters both ways too. There's no way I'll willingly go back to not using a stirplate now.

Considering how cheaply one can be made I can't imagine not using one. Even if the increase on yeast growth were relatively small the expense us so negligible that it's more than worth it. I made mine out of parts I had lying around for free, just had to pay a couple of bucks for a stir bar.

One of the best things is using DME instead of extra liquid yeast when brewing bigger beers or volumes. I'd rather pay for DME and run my stir plate than pay for more yeast.

One of the best things is using DME instead of extra liquid yeast when brewing bigger beers or volumes. I'd rather pay for DME and run my stir plate than pay for more yeast.

I did a two step starter for my last batch. First was 1L, the second was 1.2L. That's ~220g worth of DME. Purchased from Rebel Brewer (about $3/#) it was FAR cheaper than buying two more packets of yeast (needed about 290 billion yeast cells for the batch). Would have taken a 6L starter if I used just a single step. I would have needed an almost 15L starter with no aeration. 11.5L with O2 injection. Just over 9L with intermittent shaking. 8L with continuous aeration (pump and stone).

Point is, it's great making a starter with a stirplate, compared with the methods not using one. But it's also good to recognize when you can simply do a stepped starter and get your target colony size with far smaller starters (than the total would have been as a single starter). Use yeastcalc.com to help figure out what size starter you need if using a single, two step, or three step starters.

I have a batch planned that will be a HIGH OG brew. Even with extremely fresh yeast (fully viable, 100 billion cells ready to go) I'll need a 10.5L single step starter (on stirplate). Using a two step starter that goes down to 2L for the first, and 2.75L for the second. Easy to do with a 3L flask. I just need to plan for two extra days for the second starter step (I cold crash between, then decant before adding fresh starter wort on top of the yeast cake).

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into building one, not too familiar with electronics or wiring, but I think I could manage.

Tubbster85 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I will look into building one, not too familiar with electronics or wiring, but I think I could manage.

I wasn't when I built mine. Just followed instructions and learned.

What are some of the ways around the electronics?

Get an AC fan and speed controller made for said fan. Or use a DC fan with a pre-made speed controller that also includes an AC to DC converted. I got those from FrozenCPU without issue. My bigger issue is placing the magnets on the fan so that they work properly. Since I have a Hanna stirplate, I don't need the one I was trying to make. I'm actually looking at the one from Rebel that can handle 5 gallons on it. I have three flasks right now that are 2L, 3L and 5L sizes. I can see getting something larger in the future, when I need one, though. Plus, being able to easily use the 5L flask would be nice. I'm not using it yet mostly due it not fitting into my fridge (to cold crash). Once I move, that will change.

Latest posts

Back