I added extra sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
I added some extra sugar for the boost ABV.

Fermentation finished with 1.040. Yes Because I had added complex sugar (polysaccharides) by mistake.

It's 5 gallon batch and don't want to dump it also don't think drink this syrup.
I will fallow any advise. If works I could use some wild yeast (some people say the brett. could handle polysaccharides). Any commercial enzyme for destruct sugar chains?

What did you brew and what kind of sugar? Not added sugars are simple and get readily consumed by the yeast, in addition what yeast at 1.040 it's almost like there was no significant fermentation?

Are you sure you're reading your hydrometer correctly???

What yeast did you use to start? Temps? What was the OG to start?

Try adding some champagne yeast. Supposedly it's great for restarting stalled fermentations and/or being able to process some of the more complex sugars. If that fails to get your SG down close to your projected target FG there's amylase enzyme as a last resort, although it's reportedly a voratious monster and might reduce your beer to the realms of having all the flavour, body and depth of a glass of water;) Read up on the amylase and discern, for yourself, if it's a viable option for your situation.:mug:

I've purchased the "Beano" from Ebay. I know I know Beano is not a good additive but everyone say its efective.

Back