Late night brew is kegged...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenneBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a Surley Furious clone (NB's Shirley Furioso) late one night when a couple of friends were over. Besides the friends distracting me from my usual routine, I had a few home-brews and was a little tipsy when it came time to cool and pitch.

Once my BK was empty, I noticed I had scorched the bottom slightly. Hop additions were late at times and the plate chiller backed-up so I just put the hot wort right in the fermentor and pitched the yeast warm the next morning.

I was going to throw the batch out several times, but I stuck with it and racked to secondary after two weeks and dry hopped for another two weeks before kegging and cooling this evening. I have held no hope for this, but I wanted to stick with it for the heck of it.

Well, after taking an early taste, I was surprised that it tasted good! It needs more time to age, but so far, so good. I really want to make this beer again to see how it comes out with better technique.

Anyway, here's to sticking with those batches you think you should throw out. Give it some time, and see what happens.

Clifton said:
How is it now?

It is very good. I had some with family last night and it's almost gone. It has only improved over time, although I enjoyed the strong hopiness when it was first legged.

Back