Wood aging - Reuse cubes afterwards?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
I'm about to age an old ale on some oak cubes and was wondering if I could reuse the cubes when I'm through. If so, how should I store them?

Side question, if I were to soak the cubes in wine or some liquor, what would be appropriate for an old ale?

Thanks!

This is what BYO says about soaking cubes, but indent hink any of the mentioned are close to old ales.
Two weeks before racking, take 3.0 oz. (85 g) of oak cubes (French oak, medium toast) and soak them in wine. Use Chardonnay for the Temptation clone, Pinot Noir for La Roja, Cabernet Sauvignon for Darth Porter and Burgundy or Meritage for Grand Cru and La Folie. Change wine every 3 days to lessen the intensity of the new oak.

Depends.

Advanced: If you want yeast to survive, store them in distilled H2O. Can help obtain a "house" flavor after a number of uses.

Standard: store them in whiskey or vodka. EtoH will kill most bacteria and yeasts so contamination becomes a lesser concern.

Back