Can't get snap ring of sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I've watched Bobby's video on the subject. Pressure has been released, but I can't seem to get the snap ring to move and pop out.

Any tips? I used several sizes of flat head screwdrivers, trying to get the ring up a bit or out at the keyhole. Not sure what else to try.

Appreciate the help.

First things first,

You are SURE you have a snap ring Sanke and not a Miller sanke that screws in?

Picture will help us identify the sanke you have.

Thanks for responding. I managed to get the snap ring off. I'm not sure what kind of keg it is since it has no ball as a valve.

Now I'm trying to see if I can put it back together. Trying to get a fermenter with a spund valve going. Here's a pic of the valve in case anyone can say what kind of keg it is. My type "D" coupler fit on it, though.

2de9b041.jpg

That is a "standard" sanke snap ring keg. Congrats on getting the ring out. I know you say that you have it De-Pressurized but beware. IF it is a fairly fresh keg then the Carbonated beer will re-pressurize it enough to give you a bath.

Lay it on its side, shove a flat screw driver in the valve and get what pressure you shook up released. THEN use the pliares and maybe a large open face wrench, I think a 7/8" will wedge in between the locking lugs and turn to the index points and pull out the Sanke "Spear"

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was able to remove the dip tube. Now I've filled it with some water and reassembled to see if I can push the water out with gas.

I have the keg pressurized, but no water is coming out. Not sure what is going on. I'm wondering if the snap ring is incorrectly installed. It's back in the same groove. If I push on the ball, water sprays out.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Type "D" standard coupler. I'm not sure if it's the correct one or not. It seems to fit it correctly. This keg has no "ball" though. The valve seems to be flat and I'm wondering if it does not push on the valve properly.

Here's a pic of the keg valve. The snap ring is off in the pic. Note there is no "ball" valve. Is this possibly a non-standard keg? I believe it was some kind of scottish ale. Got the keg for free from a liquor store back in June.

2de9b041.jpg

I'm starting to think that this is an "S" style coupler keg. From what I read the only difference in the coupler is that the stem is a little longer, which is likely what I need to depress the valve. Crap. Another $40 for one. Least the keg was free.

you have a european Sanke (S) keg. the Sanke (D) coupler (US standard) that you have wont work. you can buy them from micromatic and others though.
d_5243.jpg

sorry for posting, you beat me to it...lol

The keg says "scottish courage" on it, which I believe is made by Newcastle. That would require the "S" tap. I say again, crapola!

I wonder if the stem from a "D" type Sanke would fir in your "S" keg. Just a thought, lots of spare D stems around I would imagine...just a thought.

Interesting idea. Has to be cheaper than the coupler, which will be $43 or so once delivered. LHBS has one, but for $47.

Just posted the link for those who want/need the originals.
You need the Snap ring removal handle.
We have spears out of kegs in less than 20 seconds.....after we're "warmed up".

Matt

never had any trouble removing or installing stock sanke snap rings.. i suppose a poodle boy could have problems if he has no mechanical abilities or intelligence..

i've found that the aftermarket ones don't hold tension after being removed/installed many times. the originals seem to last forever.

never had any trouble removing or installing stock sanke snap rings.. i suppose a poodle boy could have problems if he has no mechanical abilities or intelligence..

i've found that the aftermarket ones don't hold tension after being removed/installed many times. the originals seem to last forever.

Should I be insulted? What's a "poodle boy"? Like a sissy or something?

Anyway, I got the ring off days ago, though I am looking at making myself a better removal tool. Never been called a "poodle boy" before. I'd be insulted, but when I picture someone actually saying or writing that, I laugh. LOL.
:mug:

My removal tool is a screwdriver with a roughly 1/8" shaft, bent to a roughly 30* angle and ground to a sharp point parallel with the rest of the shaft. In storage or I'd take a picture.

Back