cherry bourbon stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppergti

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1084 wyeast irish
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 @ 68
Tasting Notes
so far its pretty good. just kegged it yesterday. we\'ll see in a few months
All-Grains

9# Pale malt (2 row)
4# Marris otter pale Malt
1# Crystal 80L
.25# Black Malt
.25# Roasted Barley
.5# Special B Malt

This was my first All-Grain. i didn't figure in the boil time and ended up with a 4 gallon batch instead of the anticipated 5 gallon batch i was looking for.

Notes-
*before i brewed this beer i soaked (Red Stag) in oak chips for 2 months.*

during the secondary, i strained the chips(saving the bourbon) i added the red stag oak chips to the fermenter.

i added 1/4 cup of the strained bourbon to the fermenter

At bottling i added brewers best cherry additive.

letting it age for a while yet. i kegged most of it and only ended up with a 12 pack, so i want to make it last as long as i can. i will probably break one out this weekend to see how its progressing.

Hops-

.75oz Northern Brewer 8.00 (alpha) 22.7 (IBU) @45min
.50oz Goldings - B.C. 4.45 (alpha) 4.8 (IBU) @ 30 min
.50oz Goldings - B.C. 4.45 (alpha) 1.9 (IBU) @ 10 min

I tried one the other day and it turned out pretty good. I think i should have left out the last 1/4 cup of bourbon i had added at bottling. It may still mellow out a bit though. It's hard to tell since its still fairly young. Ive always had a thing for stouts on nitrogen, so i think thats how im going to do this one.

I used a brewers best cherry additive and i think the bourbon is overpowering it a bit. A cherry purree would have worked out a bit better i think. This will make for a great winter beer and i can wait to tap the keg in a few months. Right now it's way out of season.

it's delicious. the only thing i would do is add a bit of flaked wheat to it to thicken it up just a tad.

i have a lot of friends that really enjoy this one and i think i'll do it again in the next month or two.

i will leave the 1/4 cup of bourbon in there for the future, it mellowed out to a really great taste.

Back