whats up with AHB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gasman

Reaction score
for the first time ever i ordered from them, mostly due to hearing great things about them on this fourum and im new to homebrewing...i placed an order on 2-20-09 at 3:00pm est and it is now 2-26-09 3:55 est and my order is still being processed at the store...that seems like a long time....right...was kinda hopping to brew this weekend....not gonna happen

for the first time ever i ordered from them, mostly due to hearing great things about them on this fourum and im new to homebrewing...i placed an order on 2-20-09 at 3:00pm est and it is now 2-26-09 3:55 est and my order is still being processed at the store...that seems like a long time....right...was kinda hopping to brew this weekend....not gonna happen

Who is AHB? Id call them... that is what Id do.

We've gotten a lot of posts like this lately.

Forrest says they've had a huge increase in order volume lately, also they're running a big sale right now.

Hopefully things pick back up again soon, as they're a good vendor.

just hope i get my stuff before i pay off the credit card bill...i will have a huge problem with that

I'm in the same boat. I'm a first time user of AHB and placed an order online on Sunday, 2/22/09, and hadn't heard anything about it being shipped. Just called them now, 6:20 pm EST on 2/26, and was told it hadn't been processed yet. I was told it was because they've recently had a high order volume. When I asked when it would ship they said maybe the beginning of next week! Definitely not the kind of service I was hoping for. Was hoping to brew this weekend too. Guess not. Don't think I'll be using them again.

Here's what Forrest had to say.
"I know, like everyone out there, that times are very tough. For this reason, I had planned on having a number of sales events during this year. Of course my sales go up, but so do my costs. The main reason that I run these sales is so that everyone can save money on their favorite hobby. Normally, our sales triple during a storewide sale. And that fact makes orders ship out a little slower. I just hired 2 more people and everyone in shipping is working a lot of overtime, weekends, and nights to get the orders out and to avoid long delays.

And after all of that, the response that I receive on this forum is a series of complaints about my store and my employees. I can't afford the damage to my store's reputation because of permanent posts on a forum that relate to the service received during a sale. Our order turn around is normally on target during “normal” times, so it appears that it is not really worth having a sale. Northern Brewer doesn't have store wide sales. I don't know of any other homebrew store that has storewide sales either. It is a reality that many smaller homebrew stores can put orders out the same day because they don't have the volume we do, especially during a sale.

I have no choice but to switch to having a few small targeted items on sale.

Thanks for your support.
I am sure you understand.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply"

They're working on it. I'm sure after the sale, things will be back to normal

They're working on it. I'm sure after the sale, things will be back to normal

I wouldn't count on it - my last two orders in December and January, during non-sale times, were delayed as well. Still, I like AHS and know I can always pay more for shipping if I really want it sooner. Unless it gets excessive, I'm fine with planning ahead and placing my orders a week or two ahead of time.

I wouldn't count on it - my last two orders in December and January, during non-sale times, were delayed as well. Still, I like AHS and know I can always pay more for shipping if I really want it sooner. Unless it gets excessive, I'm fine with planning ahead and placing my orders a week or two ahead of time.

IIRC, they were hit with a ton of orders in December (for Christmas) and January (new people/people spending Christmas money). I placed an order a few weeks ago and it was processed in a day or two. I'm sure once their 50 state sale is over, it will be back to normal.

It will be back to normal by next week when the new hires arrive. Sorry for the delay.

I have some major promotions coming up after the sale.

We just can not have storewide sales anymore. They cause too many delays and that is what we need to avoid.

Forrest

It will be back to normal by next week when the new hires arrive. Sorry for the delay.

I have some major promotions coming up after the sale.

We just can not have storewide sales anymore. They cause too many delays and that is what we need to avoid.

Forrest

Or you can simply say that orders may be delayed up to a week during a store wide sale. You could also mention that you just hired 2 people during an extended recession...I personally think that is awesome and really appreciate it. I don't think it is such a bad thing that you had some delays during your sale which caused you to create more jobs, just what this country needs right now. Just let people know before hand what is going on and I bet they would understand and if not...well they can empty their cart and order elsewhere.

Perhaps you could also add an option to an order that for $2 or something you are guaranteed your order will ship within 24 hours if placed Monday at 8 AM and Friday at 5 PM. You would not be the only online operation that has that option.

Just my .02.

Or you can simply say that orders may be delayed up to a week during a store wide sale. You could also mention that you just hired 2 people during an extended recession...I personally think that is awesome and really appreciate it. I don't think it is such a bad thing that you had some delays during your sale which caused you to create more jobs, just what this country needs right now. Just let people know before hand what is going on and I bet they would understand and if not...well they can empty their cart and order elsewhere.

Perhaps you could also add an option to an order that for $2 or something you are guaranteed your order will ship within 24 hours if placed Monday at 8 AM and Friday at 5 PM. You would not be the only online operation that has that option.

Just my .02.

+1million for the hiring

That's an awesome idea. I bet it would be difficult to guarantee specific orders and then some would get pushed back further, but setting an expectation is always nice. I hope its not taboo for me to post here as I follow all industry related threads as much as possible. Flat rate shipping is not a cheap thing to do and its awesome when a company can provide that with heavy stuff like grain etc. Though saying "right now orders may take x to y time to ship" during a busy time would be awesome. I don't think people mind taking a little extra time for a good deal, they just appreciate communication and hate not knowing when they're going to get something. I hope the future deals Forrest runs kick butt :)

+1million for the hiring

That's an awesome idea. I bet it would be difficult to guarantee specific orders and then some would get pushed back further, but setting an expectation is always nice. I hope its not taboo for me to post here as I follow all industry related threads as much as possible. Flat rate shipping is not a cheap thing to do and its awesome when a company can provide that with heavy stuff like grain etc. Though saying "right now orders may take x to y time to ship" during a busy time would be awesome. I don't think people mind taking a little extra time for a good deal, they just appreciate communication and hate not knowing when they're going to get something. I hope the future deals Forrest runs kick butt :)

Thanks for the support.

Forrest

I just had the same disappointing experience... SLOW processing and it cost me a brewing day I was looking forward to. Not the end of the world by any means, but I've never had such a problem with Northern Brewer. Just sayin'...

If you didn't pay for expedited processing, it says your order goes in at the back of the line. I got my order today, a week from when I placed the order...that's no different than Northern Brewer's discounted shipping time. If you're in a hurry, pay for expedited shipping or visit your LHBS.

I think one of you hit on my issue. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I had read on their website that orders were processed in 2 - 3 business days so that's what I was expecting and kind of hoping it'd be the lesser of the two. So when I called I was surprised and very disappointed and frustrated that it wasn't going to ship until next week. If I had known before hand I would've either ordered it knowing what to expect or placed an order somewhere else. I have no idea how big AHS is but I'm glad that the business is doing so well in this economy. More power to them. From what I've read previously they have a good reputation and that's one of the reasons I thought I'd try purchasing some kits there. But they really should put some sort of notice on their site letting customers know what to expect. That way most of this negative publicity could be avoided and their different sales could continue. Just my 2 cents. Here's to looking forward to when the kits do arrive. Cheers!

I also just made a first time purchase (being a loyal customer to a big AHS competitor) earlier in the week after months of thinking about doing so, and have been waiting all week for the shipping info to appear in my Inbox.

I appreciate AHS's position and what they are doing to rectify it BUT! what if I did not happen to click on this forum thread?!?

All week I've been like WTF? about the order not yet happening, and I now see I am definitely not the only one. Seems a quick & dirty email to all those placing recent orders just letting us know it would be a few additional days could squelch all of the apprehension. If a customer is given a reason for unexpected/undesired circumstances they will drastically tend to understand. However, if left in the dark one will tend to stew & feel like future business should head elsewhere.

Forrest-

Sales are good; they bring in extra business that may not otherwise happen. Don't err to simply eliminate that. Just communicate that you are overwhelmed. This happens with all businesses, and it's generally OK when that happens. We just need to know what's up.

Looking forward to getting my shipping info...

Forrest runs a top-notch shop. He gets half of my business and my LHBS gets my other half. In the past when he has had sales orders have slowed down some, but that's to be expected. What if at your job business tripled? I have no complaints. Come on, can you really beat $6.99 shipping? Like Moonshae said, if you want it quick then you have to pay a little more. It's no different than any other business.

BTW, Forrest, I just had my first pint of your Anchor Steam clone earlier this evening. Spot on. Good work.

Another +1 in support of AHS. I have never had a delay in shipping and have had great results with my first few recipes. I will continue to order from them and am constantly searching the site looking for my next brew. Next up should be a Stone IPA of some sort...Cant wait.

Forrest,

I know I opposed you on another thread with a drunken rant, but you have my support on this one. You have a killer selection, good prices, and an amazing shipping deal. There appears to be a solid customer base on this site and those who complain will likely come back when they realize that they can't get the same elsewhere. Just be sure to follow the advice others have offered up here and advertise that order processing is experiencing delays.

I'm anxiously waiting for Cali to come up on the big sale ... you'll receive a big order from me at that time, and I'm sure on a regular basis afterward. Best of luck, brother!

I used to do a one day sale but can't anymore because of the volume of orders. I thought spreading the orders out would help and it has but not to the extent I thought it would.

I just means that I have to re-group and do other promotions instead. I can't have your orders delayed, it is just that simple.

I think you will like the improvements I have in mind. But they will have to wait until April so we can finish the sale without any further delays.

I also have a new website coming down the pike soon, that you will not believe.

Forrest

Just put a small order in with AHB. Missing out on the sale, but that's okay. I need the item quick so I forked out the extra buck and paid for expedited shipping :). It should ship tomorrow.

Don't feel bad, I missed my state too. I'll probably put in another small order on the day my state gets drawn. I figure with such a small population here, I have a decent shot at that gift certificate. :D

Placed an order a week or two ago during the sale. Placed tuesday, shipped thursday. Seems reasonable. Especially during a sale... unfortunate part is when 999/1000 people get their stuff reasonably, the 1 person that didnt stands out not only because they're the one that speaks up, but they're also the one that gets noticed when people are looking for reviews... so far I consider myself 1 for 1 on AHS, although UPS ****ed up my box. :) Guess you guys should offer wooden crates for shipping. :)

Forrest, are you giving 10% off in-store sales on Saturday for those of us who live, you know, around the corner? :)

I agree that an e-mail to all customers or a disclaimer on the website would help, but come on guys it's not like we are ordering life sustaining goods here. It sucks, but you can bear to wait. If we were talking about a diabetic waiting two months to receive his insulin, it might be time to get pissy. I have never ordered from AHS simply because I can barely pay the bills, but when I get some disposable income, Forrest has my business.

Forrest, keep doing what you're doing. It's obvious that you have the customer base you need to be successful, even if you lose a few of the more impatient ones.

Here are a few questions that should be considered as well. This applies not only to the OP, but anyone else who has issues with the vendor in question.

1) Why is it that there are rarely any complaints about other online retailers? Is it because Forrest is active here and everyone just figures it's easier to complain here.

2) You expect Forrest to post notices or send e-mails when there is a delay, did you do your part to call or e-mail him first?

3) Do other vendors monitor Homebrewtalk and shy away from it specifically because of the complaints they see here? Seriously, besides Austin Homebrew Supply and Brewmaster's Warehouse there isn't much in the way of big vendor activity here at HBT.

Cut the guy some slack for crying out loud, he's always running big sales, giving special notice of discount items, etc.... and you could order 50 tons of stuff from him and still pay less than $10 for shipping. Deal with the vendor first, and if you get actual bad service (not a delay in order processing or shipping), then post here.

I ordered a few things (tubing and fixtures) on 2/17 around 4PM PST and they were shipped 2/18 with a notice in my inbox at 9:30 AM. Goods received here in LA on 2/20. I'm impatient as hell, so paid $24 to UPS 2nd Day Air, and with less than 1/2 day to process, I think that's a pretty sweet turn around.

Like any biz - probably depends on what you order as well as when.

I do hope that the new site will have some good backend to it to estimate shipment and processing times, and provide some immediate notice if delays are hit. But if the systems won't do it for you automatically, don't waste you people power on it.

AHS will be a regular for me regardless - since they're priced well and proactive here!

:mug:

I want to give a thumbs up to AHS and Forrest. I have always received timely responses to e-mails sent regarding orders and even kit ingredients. If you need the order in less than a week, pay the extra couple of dollars over the standard 6.99 and you will get moved up the list a little bit and get your order processed somewhat quicker. I am sure Forrest takes a beating on most of the orders where people choose the 6.99 shipping, so give him a break and thank him for what he if offering. Thanks Forrest and AHS........you guys rock and I can't wait to see the new website:mug:

I also just made a first time purchase (being a loyal customer to a big AHS competitor) earlier in the week after months of thinking about doing so, and have been waiting all week for the shipping info to appear in my Inbox.

I appreciate AHS's position and what they are doing to rectify it BUT! what if I did not happen to click on this forum thread?!?

All week I've been like WTF? about the order not yet happening, and I now see I am definitely not the only one. Seems a quick & dirty email to all those placing recent orders just letting us know it would be a few additional days could squelch all of the apprehension. If a customer is given a reason for unexpected/undesired circumstances they will drastically tend to understand. However, if left in the dark one will tend to stew & feel like future business should head elsewhere.

Forrest-

Sales are good; they bring in extra business that may not otherwise happen. Don't err to simply eliminate that. Just communicate that you are overwhelmed. This happens with all businesses, and it's generally OK when that happens. We just need to know what's up.

Looking forward to getting my shipping info...

Good post.

I think AHS is an excellent resource, and YES, this isn't life saving equipment we're ordering here!

Just some FYI is all that's needed. In my case I was much more anxious than usual for my delivery as I'd broken my hydrometer and have 2 batches on the go, plus a new one I wanted to make that I've needed the hydrometer for. Adhering to the posted 24-48 hrs shipping protocol would have kept everything hunky dory. (I'd emailed to check on the status when I hadn't heard anything and didn't hear back either... so a number of odd happenings I wasn't accustomed to elsewhere).

BUT yes, they offered a pretty cool sale (and serendipitously I happened to go to the site on the day my state was featured not even knowing of the sale) so I thought to give 'em a try. Sounds like it exceeded expectations for the owner, and that is great news given what we're hearing on the news everyday. :mug:

I'm sure things will improve swiftly from what a very high ratio of accounts here vouch to be an excellent supplier. I look forward to hearing more about that. :) It sounds like this is just a bit of growing pains... keep on truckin'!

I had a very good experience with AHS. I forgot to add yeast nutrient on my online order so I called and they added it no problem and the order shipped quickly...and it was correct and packed very well.

If I were to pick nits it would be that tape that they secure the plastic tubing with...it leaves a lot of difficult-to-remove adhesive on the tubing.

C'mon Florida state sale....gogogogog (hint, hint). :)

Here are a few questions that should be considered as well. This applies not only to the OP, but anyone else who has issues with the vendor in question.

1) Why is it that there are rarely any complaints about other online retailers? Is it because Forrest is active here and everyone just figures it's easier to complain here.

Apparently you've missed all the complaints about B3's awful inventory system over the past couple months...

Apparently you've missed all the complaints about B3's awful inventory system over the past couple months...

Nope, I've seen those complaints. But if you take the Austin complaints, they would tower over the B3 complaints. I'd have to dig to find a complaint against Midwest, Williams, or Northern Brewer, but you can't tell me people haven't had issues in the past with them as well.

It's one thing to complain after you've tried to work with the company, totally different if they don't respond or you don't give them the chance.

I will say though to be fair, NB screwed up my previous 2 orders as well, but were quick to respond and communication never lacked.

Seems like business is booming for lots of folks and the growing pains associated with it... good news all around so long as these stores aim to get better (which I think they do).

Solution:
  • Bulk grains - Order multiple 55# sacks.
  • Specialty grains - Order multiple 10# sacks.
  • Hops - Order by the pound.
  • Yeast - Order what you need...harvest the bountiful yield for foreseeable future.
Brew what you want, when you want. :p

Bulk_Order_1.jpg

Solution:
  • Bulk grains - Order multiple 55# sacks.
  • Specialty grains - Order multiple 10# sacks.
  • Hops - Order by the pound.
  • Yeast - Order what you need...harvest the bountiful yield for foreseeable future.
Brew what you want, when you want. :p

Show-off. Someday BM, someday I'll be doing that. Spent too much money on equipment this year, maybe next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back