Real Ale Hans Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewrifle

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a recipe for Real Ale's Hans Pils? I absolutely love this brew and wanted to do a clone of it, but can't seem to find a recipe for it anywhere. I emailed them directly, but I doubt they will give any information on it out, but we'll see.

Still no word from the brewers over at Real Ale, but I'm still hopeful that they can release at least part of the recipe for us enthusiasts!

Anyone please this is my favorite beer I'd love to have galls on galls of it... rack on rack on rack

per their website it's a German style pils hopped up to 50 ibu with tettnang.
I'd try...
9.5 lbs pilsner
mash around 152
.75 oz Magnum @ 60
1 oz tettnang @ 10
1 oz tettnang @ 0
ferment with 34-70
should put you in the ballpark.

per their website it's a German style pils hopped up to 50 ibu with tettnang.
I'd try...
9.5 lbs pilsner
mash around 152
.75 oz Magnum @ 60
1 oz tettnang @ 10
1 oz tettnang @ 0
ferment with 34-70
should put you in the ballpark.

Just bought the gredients let y'all know how it turns out :rockin:

It was mentioned on this podcast:

http://tastypodcasts.com/podcasts/s...cast-real-ale-brewing-coco-simone-trisha-lynn

The brewer from Real Ale was in Northern Germany, and had a hoppy Pilsener called Jever. So the Hans Pils is supposed to be similar to that.
Note that the water profile in Northern Germany is different than it is in Bavaria or the Czech regions. They are probably using a different yeast as well.
In the podcast, the brewer mentions they use "all German malts, all German Hops."
BYO magazine did an article on the Northern German Pilsners, and
had a recipe that featured Tettnanger and Hallertau hops and used Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast and a step mash:

http://byo.com/partial-mashing/item/1183-northern-german-pils-style-profile

I haven't had the Real Ale Hans Pils or the Jever Pilsener, but I am putting this on my brewing list for the spring so its ready for the summer.
I'll probably go with an IPA type water profile and use the recipe and mash schedule from the BYO article.
I'll also use either the 2042 Danish Lager yeast or 34/70 dry yeast.

Also mentioned in the Podcast, Real Ale Brewing doesn't filter or pasteurize, so theoretically if you want to make a clone, you can culture up the yeast they use.

Also mentioned in the Podcast, Real Ale Brewing doesn't filter or pasteurize, so theoretically if you want to make a clone, you can culture up the yeast they use.[/QUOTE]

How would one go about doing that? I feel as if it would just go moldy, forgive my ignorance.:cross::confused:

Back