HLT rust on anode and element bases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
yeah I know there's 300 threads about rust. But they all say "use an anode!" and I've got one. And it rusts too. I've verified that there's zero ohms resistance between the anode base and the element base. I've cleaned all rust off the anode and element once and still got rust the next time. What gives?

Camco magnesium anode
camco 5500w ulwd ripple element
Stainless kettle and locknuts

Water does stay in the HLT during the whole brew and cleanup, so about 5 or 6 hours. Then I drain, shopvac the rest of the water, and blowdry the kettle till its like the Sahara. I do acidify my sparge water to about pH 5.4, could that be exacerbating the rusting? Should I neutralize it with baking soda after I'm done sparging so the 5.4 water doesn't sit there for 3 hours?

Thanks!

I have the same problem. I think it is just because my water is so hard. I ended up sealing the base with food grade silicone.

You can try spraying it with dilute ammonia or some baking soda dissolved in water after you're done cleaning.

Latest posts

Back