Stuck Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I combined cranapple juice with peach juice that had invert sugar in it. I added 4 cups sugar and water to get 4.5 Gallons and

SG start was 1.090 and 70 degrees F

after 24 hours nothing so I added 1118

another 24 hrs nothing?

the original juice content was about 3 Gallons

I read up on invert sugar and it looks like it helps fermentation?

should I airlock the first 24?

I've been air locking as soon as my ferment gets going and everything seems to be going ok with my other batches.

Also the juices I thought were pure had some floaties a lot of them looks like a mild wort?

Any insight would be great!

my guess is rack it and try again?

First, definitely airlock the first 24 hours. As fermentation gets going, there will be enough CO2 covering the wine to prevent oxidation. As for why it is stuck, if the juice had E211(sodium benzoate) that could kill your yeast. You should also rehydrate wine yeast with care, 120f water (NO STIRRING it can kill 90% of the dried yeast cells) then slowly add juice to acclimate the yeast. Ec-1118 is a homicidal maniac and should kill any contamination yeast if you pitch a strong culture.

image-4016815526.jpg

MizzouFermentationScience,

Thanks for the reply I like your analogy of the 1118 but its still not working?

120 f water NO STIRRING? (wow!)

I've read different, I thought 120 F would kill it, do you mean no stirring of the yeast starter or of the wine itself?

I'm brand new at this but soooo addicted!!!

I'm going to rack today and try adding K1-V1116 ???

I also have red star Pasteur Red and Pasteur Champagne??

I hate to lose this 4.5 Gallons :-(

Oh, I also forgot to mention this is the first batch I used campden tablets in.

I crushed 2 tabs for 4.5 Gal

I waited 24 hours before adding the yeast but not sure if that was correct???

image-1623082346.jpg

I racked the wine and added k1-v1116

I didn't stir and you can see in the picture the yeast stayed on the top gallon or so.

I think I've lost this one :-(

image-3535539291.jpg

I'm going to try adding pectic enzyme to this batch and see what happens.

Is this considered a stuck fermentation if it never got going ?

Would alchotech 48 hour super yeast get this started?

The juice smells and tastes so good this would make a great wine if I could only get it going.

Somebody please help!!!!!

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Wait a while it should kick off. Might try warming it up a bit in a water bath and see if that gets it going. Mike

Mike,
I hope it does!!

I have tried heating it up with a heating pad and a goose down coat wrapped around it. That makes the bubble on the air lock move a bit but still no action.

I wish I could get somebody to comment on the ingredients pics I posted, maybe there are just to many preservatives in the juice but it said natural flavors.

I have no idea how some of those ingredients affect fermentation. Maybe add yet another pack of yeast and some yeast energizer?

Bluespark said:
I have no idea how some of those ingredients affect fermentation. Maybe add yet another pack of yeast and some yeast energizer?

What's yeast energizer ? Product name?

Yeast nutrient and yeast energizer.

Also if a ferment is stuck try make a large starter. Start by hydrating the yeast in about a cup of sugar water in a large bowl. After the yeast starts to get active (I leave it over night) add a half cup of the stuck must. Continue adding half cup of the must every few hours. Do this over the course of a few days. This slowly acclimates the yeast to their new environment giving them a better chance at survival. Once your starter is going add it back to the rest of the must. Leave it uncovered, and try to keep oxygen to it for the first few days to help the yeast. Use 1118 or 1116. Cranberries are notorious for stuck fermentation don't give up just yet.

Heavywalker said:
Yeast nutrient and yeast energizer.

Also if a ferment is stuck try make a large starter. Start by hydrating the yeast in about a cup of sugar water in a large bowl. After the yeast starts to get active (I leave it over night) add a half cup of the stuck must. Continue adding half cup of the must every few hours. Do this over the course of a few days. This slowly acclimates the yeast to their new environment giving them a better chance at survival. Once your starter is going add it back to the rest of the must. Leave it uncovered, and try to keep oxygen to it for the first few days to help the yeast. Use 1118 or 1116. Cranberries are notorious for stuck fermentation don't give up just yet.

Nice, there is hope!!!!! :)

image-378366320.jpg

Got the starter going!! (Used EC-1118)

I'm going to continue to add little by little in hopes it will get going.

The starter is working with a cup of juice so it seems like there is hope!

The starter is working great! This is exciting I wish i could post short videos of the fermentation.

I added another cup of the juice and suddenly all the yeast and stuff started falling to the bottom like it was dying then miraculously like a superhero the EC-1118 started fighting back and fermenting again.

I think this is going to work!

Latest posts

Back