Closed transfer of dry hopped beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hi. I plan on dry hopping a few ipas. I can either do this in the keg or in the primary after fermentation has slowed. Can anyone tell me if the aroma will fade if I dry hop and then cold condition and then do a closed transfer. Will the aroma escape with the co2 that escapes though the sounding valve during transfer? Can I just add an extra oz to make up for this is is a transfer going to be bad either way?

Hmmm. I really don't know about during transfer, but I know if I try to quick carb an IPA, and purge a few times that I "lose" some aromatics. So I try to minimize that.

I think if you transfer under co2, that as long as you use just enough co2 to push the beer (like 2 psi), you'll rarely need the spunding valve and not have much aroma blown out.

This is just my thinking, though! I have absolutely no practical experience in this!

Back