I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan said:
45.. Youre a really good man. Someday some gal will find that out. Keep doing the important stuff right now, taking care of your daughter. Eventually the good carma will be felt and you'll meet an amazing woman. That's how it works.

I was trying to think of how to put it..

Comes in handy now since I get to sew Barbie dresses for my daughter!

Haha, I still have this link saved from when I used to make Barbie clothes for my daughter, she is in college now. The site is in French but there enough pictures to not need to read it, or I guess you could use a site translator. I have made quite a few of the designs and always turned out great.
http://www.missbcouture.com

And yeah, what Dan said. The right one will land in your lap one day.

45.. Youre a really good man. Someday some gal will find that out. Keep doing the important stuff right now, taking care of your daughter. Eventually the good carma will be felt and you'll meet an amazing woman. That's how it works.

The way I figure it is all that matters is making the best of every day.

Life is good, plus one of my drinking buddies has a daughter that's about my daughter's age. They have a great time together.
Doesn't help me score with the ladies, but it does make it so I can hang out and have a few beers, work on a car, enjoy a barbecue or something and my kid is having a great time.

On top of that I'm a land surveyor and work has been steady enough. Lots of guys in my profession have been out of work since the economy went south.
The company I'm with has cut way back but even though our survey department is only three people now, they've kept me on even though having two professionals on a staff of three people makes no economic sense.

I've got plenty of good going on so I'm not complaining.
Plus I've got good beer in the fridge, a couple fermenters ready to transfer to kegs and grain for a ten more gallons of beer.

Alright well some of those Barbies are looking kind of good so I think that's my cue to hit the hay. Goodnight all, and have a good morning.

I dunno man, I know I'd be bragging about Barbie dresses. My ex was useless as tits on a boar hog, though she was a fair mother for a little while. Cooking and cleaning have always been my department. If she washed a few loads of laundry and heaped them up on the couch I was more than happy. Man our house looked like crap then.. I worked a lot more back then, couldn't keep up with it all. She could burn water. I remember one time she made this big display out of trying to make some soup. She was cutting the potatoes up into all different sized pieces, some an inch. I tried to explain to her about how they wouldn't all cook the same, boy howdy what a fight that turned into. I wouldn't even know what to do in that relationship now. Me and the wife haven't gotten on anything more than a mild disagreement in two years.

I can relate to the burning water thing.
I remember one time a few years ago when she said she didn't have the ingredients for mashed potatoes.
I looked and we had a bag of potatoes, milk, butter. The water and stove were both in working order. I asked what else she needed. She didn't know how to make them without the box of powder that you make the fake ones from. I was somewhat dumbfounded. I told her the name was the recipe.
I did cook when I wanted something good, but with her being home so much, the last six years a stay at home "house wife", I sort of expected more than being asked what I wanted for dinner so she could go to the store every night after work!
Dishes in the cupboard were dirty more than not to boot.
Like I said, life aint so bad now!

Haha, I still have this link saved from when I used to make Barbie clothes for my daughter, she is in college now. The site is in French but there enough pictures to not need to read it, or I guess you could use a site translator. I have made quite a few of the designs and always turned out great.
http://www.missbcouture.com

Mine are a little simpler than that. We take an old dress that doesn't fit any more. She tells me what she wants to make, I lay the doll down and figure out how I'm going to cut it, cut and sew and she's happy!

And yeah, what Dan said. The right one will land in your lap one day.

Now a lap dance does sound good!

Good night BB!

Things aren't going so fast on here that I can't go make my daughters lunch and grab another beer without worrying about loosing my place!

Any of you late night people have a barleywine recipe you like that you want to share? Needs to be probably nothing over 8% alcohol because I want something that can finish out by July.
All grain is good, due to wanting to make sure I find time to brew it soon, an extract recipe might be better.
It's easier to find time for an extract beer when you are busy.

Heck I went and made lunch for my daughter, got coffee ready for the morning, checked out new threads and went to youtube to play some roy clark and still no activity on here!

Of course I'm the westerly most person on here and it's nearly 12:30 so that makes it as late as 3:30 for people like BobbiLynne. Either late or early.
I've got a guy up the road that drives log truck. He heads out to work at 3:00 and I couldn't tell you how high a percentage of the time I've listened to him go to work while I'm still on the couch in the last three years. A lot!

This thread is definitely moving to fast for me!

I'm on a cigar break right now at work. It's still raining and I have 6 cars out, which is amazing. We usually have 4, and that's by the skin of our teeth. The area we cover is less than 1 sq mile by the way.

One square mile and you've got as many people on right now at 3:30 in the morning as the county would have mid day on for a special event weekend to cover the entire county here.
I think we've got one to two on at nights here for the entire county, plus a couple of town cops in three different towns in our county.
And our county is over 1200 square miles!

I was just thinking, six cars is probably 12 people!!! Six people would be a ton of people on for the county here.

The numbers here are staggering. There's actually another car with 3 people in it that doesn't fall under me out also, plus myself and my driver. Keep in mind that our less than 1 square mile is populated by around 110,000 people and has 7 housing project developments with multiple buildings each.

Yep, I understand why. Our entire county is about 20,000 people I think. That's probably three times what it was when I was a kid.

I can't imagine living somewhere with all those people and no open space.
I drive 30 miles to work every day.
It's 30 miles on a highway that's mostly in the woods and winds through the hills and big evergreens.

When I was at fort Belvoir Va for Army survey school in '83 I remember we had some time over thanksgiving and we had a choice of taking leave or pulling extra duty.
We took leave. We were trying to decide where to go and one of the guys suggested New York city. I figured that Washington DC was as big of a city as I ever wanted to see.
I can't imagine what it's like to have that many people, never see elk or deer in your yard and not drive past good salmon and sturgeon fishing when you head out.
Probably never know what quiet is like there!

I've posted pictures on this forum of deer less than 30' from my house. I walk my dog in the woods every so often and he chases them. You'd be surprised what exists right here in the city. Some of the best striper fishing on the east coast is right down the block from my house off the beaches too. Now obviously there's no deer where I work in manhattan, but they have captured coyotes in Central Park from time to time.

Coyotes don't surprise me. Them, raccoons and opossums can adapt to anyplace.
The deer is a bit of a surprise to me though!

Isn't central park something like a square mile? I know that it's big.

Central Park is huge. I'd have to look the size up. I'm actually about to eat venison stew right now. :) I shot the deer 3 hours fom here though. Hunting is a big no no in the city.

Ps, I looked it up, Central Park is 1.37sq miles. I would have thought it was bigger than that.

This is her. So far I've found that she can cook, sew, paint, do electrical work, run a tile saw and retile the bathroom, install hard wood floor, cook, clean, and tonight she was sanding down and staining a piece of furniture. If I carry on it's because I'm proud as hell.

Based on this list, I thought you married my mother (well minus the electrical work).

Central Park is huge. I'd have to look the size up. I'm actually about to eat venison stew right now. :) I shot the deer 3 hours fom here though. Hunting is a big no no in the city.

Ps, I looked it up, Central Park is 1.37sq miles. I would have thought it was bigger than that.

See, to me three hours away is a hell of a trip for life's little required necessities. I love spending time in the woods and hunting right up the road.
I know life is full of trade offs but I would rather drive 2 1/2 hours to a homebrew store or three hours to a full on city like Portland Oregon where there are bars that let me help single moms a dollar at a time, and have elbow room than to have the noise, traffic and all those people.

I'm glad that a lot of people like living in the city. If we took all the people in this great land and spread them equal around the place rather than in cities, no one would be able to be way out of town any more.

When I grew up, I not only knew everyone for miles around, I knew all of the regular tourists that came to town by their first name.

Yup, the beauty of it all is that it takes all kinds. I could never live in the sticks full time. I thoroughly enjoy my time out of the city, which is a lot, but then I need to get home. I need to be able to hit 24hr stores and

Figures I missed the night. For once I slept pretty good:D

I was single for I guess 8 years after my divorce. I met my wife online as we are both mods in another forum and since we had both been through a bad time in our lives (death) we started to talk.

One day she said she was coming to America and would I like to meet her. Of course I said yes and we spent a wonderful summer together. She went back to NZ and I realized I screwed up big time by letting her leave.

It took 2 years and a ton of money to get her here legally. And this morning we are going to I hope our second to the last meeting and she will be a green card carrying person.

You know the funny thing though about it all is it was not until I was content to be single again that I found love. And I was married just last OCT and now am starting the rest of my life which I think will be the best part of my life. Well other than my daughter wants to start driving and dating:cross:

This is her. So far I've found that she can cook, sew, paint, do electrical work, run a tile saw and retile the bathroom, install hard wood floor, cook, clean, and tonight she was sanding down and staining a piece of furniture. If I carry on it's because I'm proud as hell.

I tried to get together a semi-risque joke involving limes... nothing came to me.

Yup, the beauty of it all is that it takes all kinds. I could never live in the sticks full time. I thoroughly enjoy my time out of the city, which is a lot, but then I need to get home. I need to be able to hit 24hr stores and

And I could never live in a big city. I will have to say though New York as in the state is a different kind of breed. You have some amazingly dense populations and yet some crazy wildlife. I read once that you have more bears per square mile there than anywhere else in the lower 48.

I grew up in a time and place that was just golden I think. My youngest years I was in Hawaii during the 60's. Then when Dad retired from the Navy we moved to Idaho and built a home way out in the styx. Growing up I would grab a gun and just take off for the day or weekend. Best life ever

Upstate NY is beautiful, with quite a few very distinct regions. The Adirondacks are awesome, I love going up there. We definitely have a lot of bears, but I don't know whether we have the most or not. I know NJ is overrun with them now too.

I'm an odd ball amongst my friends because with my father being a cop (and now me), I grew up around guns. We are exempt from the strict gun laws here (not sure how the newest ones apply yet though). On top of that, my grandfather was a big hunter and passed it on to my uncles and father. I've been hunting and fishing since I was very young, well under 10.

Airborneguy said:
Upstate NY is beautiful, with quite a few very distinct regions. The Adirondacks are awesome, I love going up there. We definitely have a lot of bears, but I don't know whether we have the most or not. I know NJ is overrun with them now too.

I'm an odd ball amongst my friends because with my father being a cop (and now me), I grew up around guns. We are exempt from the strict gun laws here (not sure how the newest ones apply yet though). On top of that, my grandfather was a big hunter and passed it on to my uncles and father. I've been hunting and fishing since I was very young, well under 10.

I used to up to Adirondacks all the when I was a kid, my father went tp Paul Smiths. The deer are out of control here in NJ they were running through my neighbo's front yard the other day and they're in my yard sometimes and I live right next to the highway.

My father, who lives upstate, woke up about a year ago to see a bear sitting in the front yard. Apparently it had toppled over the bird bath so that the water would go down its back. Dad said he was 50/50 laughing at how ridiculous it looked and concerned that the bear would get up on the porch. Eventually it just sauntered away like nothing happened.

Much like PA, New York is several "states" in one.

Interesting side note, in the Civil War reenactment community, the farther north you go in New York, the more Confederate reenactors.

Also, some people are surprised to hear that New York state grows more apples than any other state sans Washinton State.

Those who are so inclined should also visit Tutthilltown distillery in Gardner.

I have never been to New York other than the airport. I have lived in some rather large cities though and I will tell you once I got out of the Army it felt amazing to get back in country that I know had had hunted for decades.

Sadly though in Idaho we are getting a ton of new people moving in from California. Nothing against the people I just hate the fact that all my old camping and hunting grounds are now over run. Places you could go and not see another person for weeks now have regular campsites set up and they are full all the time. Oh well I just go farther back in:D

Also, some people are surprised to hear that New York state grows more apples than any other state sans Washinton State.

Those who are so inclined should also visit Tutthilltown distillery in Gardner.

I had no idea about the apples. I have 6 apple trees and they piss me off something fierce when trying to mow the lawn. I got more apples than I know what to do with

I still say we should start making cider and apfelwein in New York and sell it locally. Problem is cider is still considered by many the "girly" drink.

Lets do it Airborne, I need to get out of this "career" anyway.

But yeah, NYS as a whole doesnt produce a whole hell of a lot of hard cider as the demand just isnt there. I think Angry Orchard is a NY cider-maker, and its damned good cider, but how times have you seen someone with an Angry Orchard in their hand?

Airborneguy said:
Based on this list, I thought you married my mother (well minus the electrical work).
Your mom sounds like a capable woman.. I think women used to be able to do more stuff than they typically do now.
CreamyGoodness said:
I tried to get together a semi-risque joke involving limes... nothing came to me.
If we opened it up to full risqué would it help? ;)

CreamyGoodness said:
Lets do it Airborne, I need to get out of this "career" anyway.

But yeah, NYS as a whole doesnt produce a whole hell of a lot of hard cider as the demand just isnt there. I think Angry Orchard is a NY cider-maker, and its damned good cider, but how times have you seen someone with an Angry Orchard in their hand?

Great plan! "So uhh Sonny, I wanted to try something new with our cider so I put capers and peanut butter in it. But it actually tastes pretty cool."

Back