shortest time for an imperial stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathanquist

Reaction score
I racked an imperial stout onto a porter American ale2 yeast cake. O.G. 1.078. I am doing primary only. I was wondering what is the shortest time I can bottle in. I usually let my beers go 2 weeks and then I bottle and i want to do this and probably will. I never take gravity readings until I start to bottle because I'm confident that they are done fermenting. However I am more worried about off flavors.

I might do a gravity reading for an imperial stout, especially if you are planning to bottle so soon. Are you planning on conditioning in the bottle? An imperial stout deserves a long conditioning phase.

I would definitely take gravity readings before AND after fermentation on an imperial beer. If you pitch a large amount of yeast, you may have less yeast in the bottle if you secondary and extend that for a few weeks, however, I don't see a problem bottling sooner if you really want to. You just may end up with more yeast in the bottle and therefore a greater chance at a less than clean flavor in the long run.

How big do you plan to make this beer?

I would go 3-4 weeks primary, especially if you are not checking gravity. I would probably cold crash to drop out as much of the yeast as possible. Should have no off flavors with less than 6 weeks in primary.

From my research before making my imperial stout, it's drinkable within 2-3 weeks in a bottle. The longer it sits the better it should taste.

Mine was in the primary for 2 weeks and 3 more weeks in secondary.

I plan on trying my first bottle one month from the time it got a cap on it. Then will wait 2 weeks to try again and then 2 more weeks to try again until it tastes like heaven.

I don't think you can really rush an imperial stout.

At that gravity it's not really going to need a lot of aging. And of course a lot of people don't mind a bit of alcohol hotness in their imperial stout. I wouldn't sweat it. Just do what you normally do.

Back