full bodied Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shardin888

Reaction score
I have just crafted my first oatmeal stout and it is a little watery - how do i brew a more full bodied stout? Do i just increase the amount of wort? If it is simply increasing the wort, then do i need to do a percentage increase of hops? Thank you to everyone's advice?

I have just crafted my first oatmeal stout and it is a little watery - how do i brew a more full bodied stout? Do i just increase the amount of wort? If it is simply increasing the wort, then do i need to do a percentage increase of hops? Thank you to everyone's advice?

Body generally comes from ingredients. If you post your recipe, we could look at it and see why it's thin and give you a fix.

Thanks for the response, but i will need to contact the store I bought the kit from. Thank you again, but i will respond in a couple of days. In theory, how does one create a stronger/thicker flavor; I want it to be as thick as Guiness from Ireland (not the American water downed version).

you don't have a sheet or something that came with the kit showing the ingredients? Did you buy a kit? Assuming this was an extract kit?

Higher mash temp (if doing all grain), a lower attenuating yeast, more crystal malts, flaked oatmeal, flaked barley, lactose, serving with nitrogen (if from a keg).

Time? How long has it been bottled or kegged? I find that the mouthfeel of the dark beers improves with time. Try giving your stout another 3 to 6 weeks.

sorry about the delay - I couldn't get the measurements, but the ingredients are oatmeal/grain, pellet hops, Dark Traditional DME, Light Malt Extract, and whirl floc.

I allowed the wort to sit for two weeks before bottling. I was talking to the vendor and he suggested adding malodextrin the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Back