Not Meeting FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
I realize that there are a ton of threads already out there about people not hitting FG, but I feel like my situation is a little different.

I do AG 1-Gallon batches. I scale down all of the recipes that I find to make my 1-Gallon batches. I use MrMalty to determine how much yeast to pitch, and I always round up. For example, for the latest IPA that I'm brewing, MrMalty calculated using 0.2 packs of an 11.5 oz pack of US-04. I rounded to .5 packs.

I don't use starters and I don't rehydrate my yeast. Since I'm only doing 1-Gallon batches, I've been told by several people on here that starters and rehydrating simply aren't necessary for the scale of brews that I'm making.

I've noticed that in most cases, I'm not meeting my FG target. I do BIAB and I have a fermentation chamber for my brews. I hit my mash temps and I'm confident in my sanitizing process.

The IPA that I'm currently fermenting says to primary for 2 weeks until FG (1.010) is reached, and then dryhop for another week. Today was day 14 so I checked FG. I'm at 1.017. Fermentation for the first 4 days was incredibly vigorous, and then settled out, and has been pretty non-existent (to the naked eye) for the last 7 days or so.

So why am I not hitting my FG? Am I making too big an issue out of the 7 points? Is it possible that I'm underpitching, even using MORE than Mr.Malty recommends?

Looking for some help. Thanks!

There are many factors involved in achieving the FG goal, generally it may have nothing to do with the volume of yeast you are pitching. The viability of the yeast, the attenuation factor of the yeast, the fermentability of your wort, temperature of the ferment, and so on!

Without more info it can be difficult to "pin down" the issue.

If your beers are tasting good then relax and enjoy your beers!

There are many factors involved in achieving the FG goal, generally it may have nothing to do with the volume of yeast you are pitching. The viability of the yeast, the attenuation factor of the yeast, the fermentability of your wort, temperature of the ferment, and so on!

Without more info it can be difficult to "pin down" the issue.

If your beers are tasting good then relax and enjoy your beers!

Yea, I realize that. I guess I just want to do things right, ya know? I've read on here several times that if you don't meet FG, you could have overcarbonation and bottle bombs, even if your readings are consistent over the course of a 3 day period.

along with everything KevinW said, how do you aerate your wort?

I shake the living hell out of it, then let it rest for a few seconds. Then I shake the living hell out of it again, let it rest. And repeat. Since it's only 1-gallon, I'd think this would be enough.

What are you mash temps?

Have you verified that your mash thermometer is reading correctly?

Do you have any grain bills with large % of unfermentables?

What are you mash temps?

Have you verified that your mash thermometer is reading correctly?

Do you have any grain bills with large % of unfermentables?

In this instance, my mash temp was 153
I don't know how to verify the thermometer, but it's a digital probe thermometer that I'm almost positive is working correctly (I use it when taking gravity readings of the wort and it matches what the fermometer on the carboy says the wort is)
My grain bill for this recipe was:
Pale Malt (2 Row)- 2.55 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt 20L- 0.15 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L- 0.10 lb

You could check your thermometer in boiling water. Knowing your elevation, you can find the boiling temperature and calibrate the thermometer.

I don't think you should be under the mindset that "this is only 1 gallon soooo" approach. There really is no difference with the yeast & wort with 1, 5, or 50 gallons with all variables remaining the same oxygen, OG, mash temp, pitch rates, etc. You need handle the yeast properly, mash properly, aerate properly, etc. If you do those correctly then you will more then likely reach your FG. I know this doesn't answer your question but in a way, I feel it does. Good luck :)

That recipe is about 10% crystal malt. With a temperature of 153 for the mash, I wouldn't expect it to get lower than 1.014-1.015 with S04.

You could try less crystal, and/or a lower mash temperature (making sure you're using an accurate thermometer), and you should get to 1.008-1.010.

Latest posts

Back